Crossmember fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a new member and I've owned my Yukon XL for about 7 months. Sorry if this is a repost, which I'm sure it probably is, but my search didn't turn up what I was looking for. Anyways, I guess since I've owned it I've had a small pop in the front suspension when turning forwards/reverse. Usually happens in the driveway or in and out of parking spots. I saw so much info about the ISS so I assumed that's where it was coming from. Swapped it out a few days ago and it fixed nothing.

So I went back looking and I came accross the bullitin for the crossmember. Basicallly my question is, what type of washer needs to be added? Does anyone know a specific size? Pick up at local hardware store?

I'm ready to get it fixed! Its so embarassing! Thanks GM! Other than that I love it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
ISS= Intermediate steering shaft.
Your best bet is to take it to a local emchanic who can try trial and error on what type of washer to use. They would charge like $20, copared to alot more at the dealer.
I have not heard of this issue before so you may not find much help. I have heard of the crossmember just having loose bolts that needed retightening.

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O..I see... it could also be your ball joint,tie rod...etc.. check them out.

OP
OP
R

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
O..I see... it could also be your ball joint,tie rod...etc.. check them out.

Already checked those. The service bullitin describes my problem exactly. (" Some customers may comment on a snap or popping-type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This condition is most apparent during hard left or right turns at low speeds. Going over bumps while turning may also aid in producing this noise.")

It calls for a pretty specific washer. .551" inside dia, 1.38" outside dia, .118" thick. I went looking today and couldn't find anything close. Trying to avoid going to the stealership and paying $1.50 a piece for 8 washers.

When I was in the driveway trying to pinpoint the pop, I noticed when you have the wheels turned in either direction, especially coming up the curb, accellerate quickly and briefly it is really apparent...kinda like getting the slight twist from torque. Kinda hard to explain. I'm just suprised there's not more info out there other than the little I've found. Its supposed to be a problem on pretty much all GM 2wd trucks and suv's. I'll give detailed info when I get it done.

OP
OP
R

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got done adding washers to the crossmember. I tried to get the washers listed on the tsb but none of the dealers had any in stock and they were $1.50 ea (needs 8). Just went to Fastenal and picked up 8 14mm i.d. washers for about $1.40.

As far as the tsb goes, it says to remove the nuts, bolts, and crossmember. Then install in reverse order adding washers to each nut and bolt head, torque to 89 ft lbs, and spray anti corrosion coating over the work areas.

I don't see why it tells you remove the crossmember. You can remove each nut and bolt one at a time to add the washers without removing the whole crossmember. That way the only undercoating that is disturbed is a little on the nut and bolt head. Anyways, this was a super easy fix to an annoying issue.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got the washers for this and some anti seize compound, but im confused as to which cross member it is?

You say you need eight washers... So I grabbed eight and I went under the truck, I cant figure out where im going to use them all up. The transmission cross member maybe...But I thought it was a a cross member further to the front of the vehicle.

Can you specify which one maybe? Maybe A pic? Id really appreciate it. Or just some description. Am I right by understanding that you need eight because the cross member is held in place by 4 bolts? Two per side for mounting to the frame fail?

thanks Red.

So I found some info. Could it be the Engine Cross member - Frame bolts? I found a TSB stating to clean threads with alcohol and replace after dry and also apply thread locker before installation.

Last edited:

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just starting to tackle this issue myself and noticed there never was a response. Maybe a rare symptom or people don't seem to care.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm guessing it's the front-most crossmember. Mine sounds nearest the front drivers wheel such as a ball or cv joint, however isn't either of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat