Painted the Grill - 2010 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sensinitas

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Decided to do away with the only chrome on my Tahoe, and painted the chrome front grille surround flat black. Next up is to paint the bowtie the same color as the car, which I will do the same to the rear bowtie as well.

After reading a few threads on removing the grill, I was a bit intimidated. But it's actually pretty easy. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. I got some tricks I can share on removing the chrome trim.

IMG_2172.jpg

:waytogo:

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Ive been thinking about doing that to the wife's truck. What tips do you have? Thanks

OP
OP
S

sensinitas

Reaction score
Looks good! Ive been thinking about doing that to the wife's truck. What tips do you have? Thanks

I guess I could have just posted it in the OP. ;)

Let me see how simple and organized I can make this:

To Remove The Front Grill

1. Remove the six screws (10mm) on the top of the grill
  2. Remove the two 10mm nuts from behind the bowtie.
  3. Now Pull the grill back a bit. On each side of the top half of the grill, there is a clip. Remove both clips.
  4. Now each section of the grill completely removes. You do this by NOT pressing the chrome trim tabs down (which is what I read and was trying to do), but by pressing the black tabs of the actual grill itself. There are maybe 5 on top, and 5 on bottom of each half. Once you push them all in, the entire grill assembly should pop right out.
  5. As for the bottom section of the lower grill, you really have to cram your fingers between the grill and the foam to get the tabs to release. If you use your other hand to pull up on the grill, that will make it easier.

Congratulations - You've removed the grill.

To Remove The Chrome Trim

Once you have the grill removed, you will have much easier access to the chrome tabs of the grill trim. Those chrome tabs are STUBBORN. I tried all kinds of ways to get to release. Here is what I found worked best:

• Take a decent sized flat head screw driver, and cover the tip with duct tape. You're going to use this to press down on the chrome tabs, so the duct tape will protect the tabs.
  • Grab a hammer or rubber mallet
  • With the grill on the ground facing you, use the flat head to press a chrome tab down. While you are pressing the tab down with the screw driver(you're going to have to use some force - I had to basically lean my body weight over the screw driver to get enough force), use your other hand to bang the tab with a hammer to get it just past the locking point. Once all tabs have been released, use the hammer to tap out the chrome trim.

Congratulations, now you have the chrome trim removed!

The only other tip I have if you are going to spray paint is make sure you sand the chrome, and use SELF ETCHING PRIMER.

:waytogo::waytogo:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Not sure about what chrome your talking about, dont know to much about nnbs, but looks good if its what i think it is.

OP
OP
S

sensinitas

Reaction score
Looks good. Not sure about what chrome your talking about, dont know to much about nnbs, but looks good if its what i think it is.

Thanks! The chrome is the trim around the front grille. Here is what it looks like stock (this pic isn't my tahoe):

untitled.jpg

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh. ok. not what i was thinking, but looks really good now. I never did like that chrome on them. just looks off to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer