faint whine coming from the speaker above drivers head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2001 Tahoe LT (CD stereo with Factory Sub (not BOSE)) with Onstar (that dosn't work)

there is a faint whine (almost like a little fan running) and it seems to be coming from the little plastic circle in the over head over/outboard of the drivers head.

is this related to the stereo or the OnStar?
what is the purpouse of this thing?

anyone have any idea how to fix this?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a sensor with a built-in fan to pull in air. The sensor reads the in-cabin air temp to help the electronic hvac control the cabin temp. It's a fairly common problem for these fans to start buzzing.

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it gets on my nerves i just hit it. (usually dont have to tell it twice) lol!

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that little guy is annoying as hell. When I first picked up my truck the thing was buzzing like crazy. I thought it was engine noise coming through the speakers. I found out it was a little fan and I dropped the headliner a bit and disconnected it and then took it apart with a small flat-head screw driver. I then cleaned it and put some vaseline on the metal shaft that drives the fan. No more noise and the climate control works fine. Just be careful of the little sensor on the thing. If you damage it, then your climate control will act up.

OP
OP
KrautBurner

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a sensor with a built-in fan to pull in air. The sensor reads the in-cabin air temp to help the electronic hvac control the cabin temp. It's a fairly common problem for these fans to start buzzing.

aha,

I was wondering what that thing was for,

and I thought it sounded like a fan.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Ya that little guy is annoying as hell. When I first picked up my truck the thing was buzzing like crazy. I thought it was engine noise coming through the speakers. I found out it was a little fan and I dropped the headliner a bit and disconnected it and then took it apart with a small flat-head screw driver. I then cleaned it and put some vaseline on the metal shaft that drives the fan. No more noise and the climate control works fine. Just be careful of the little sensor on the thing. If you damage it, then your climate control will act up.

Or try a little compressed air at it, works for me!

cool,

that's the info I was looking for.

Thanks TYF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo