So, Has anyone swapped their VCIM for Factory Bluetooth Capabililty??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanls1

Reaction score
You use the steering wheel controls like for onstar calling. I push the talk button and say onstar ready.. then bluetooth.. then call (person)...then the number you are calling shows up in the dic. It also cuts the radio and ac blower automatically. When someone calls you it shows up in the dic and you hit the talk button on the steering wheel to take the call and push the down button to end the call. Its pretty easy and nice to use. I wish it showed up on the nav screen but no such luck. You can also sync multiple phones to it but the system goes to the 1st phone if both are in the car at the same time

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan.

How does one pair their phone with the truck?

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan.

How does one pair their phone with the truck?

"ONSTAR"...."PAIR"..."(name of your phone)"

(name of your phone) = what you named the phone as when it shows up on other phones, etc. Like mine is SuperchargedSS.

If you read the entire first post (the hyperlink on there), there is a link on that site that allows you to download the owners manual of a GMT900 that came with bluetooth option. It gives you the verbal commands there.

Also, the part # that I noticed alot of folks using was 20829984, was this the one you used?

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never read a manual in my life and I'm not gonna start now!
Sokay though, you'll come over and sort it out for me. :)

Anyhoot, can't wait to see if you can make this work ... although because of your model year it won't resolve the question of keeping both on star and bt at the same time. :think:

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never read a manual in my life and I'm not gonna start now!
Sokay though, you'll come over and sort it out for me. :)

Anyhoot, can't wait to see if you can make this work ... although because of your model year it won't resolve the question of keeping both on star and bt at the same time. :think:

well, that was my impression, but Ryan says his 07 works with both. I don't use ON*, so I don't care if I lose it. :)

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, that was my impression, but Ryan says his 07 works with both. I don't use ON*, so I don't care if I lose it. :)

So you just want this for bluetooth phone calls? Do you after the factory nav or an aftermarket nav? My pioneer nav dd has bluetooth calls but it sucks...

How is the clarity for the person you are calling Ryan? Can they hear you well when you are using it? Because every time I use it, whoever I'm talking to, well say they can't hear me... pretty great feature but I can rarely use it.

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you just want this for bluetooth phone calls? Do you after the factory nav or an aftermarket nav? My pioneer nav dd has bluetooth calls but it sucks...

How is the clarity for the person you are calling Ryan? Can they hear you well when you are using it? Because every time I use it, whoever I'm talking to, well say they can't hear me... pretty great feature but I can rarely use it.

My other car has Microsoft sync which has bluetooth for my phone. It's a lot easier to just press a button and talk rather than look or my phone, divert my attention to it, etc.

This is mainly for my wife, it's her car. We've spoken to onstar before with the wireless phone in the Burban and it's crystal clear. Considering the Bluetooth uses the same microphone and speakers, it should be consistent.

ryanls1

Reaction score
The qualiy is really good in my opinion. If you like the way onstar sounds then you will like bluetooth bc its all the same mic and speakers. Felix i have an 08 with factory nav and bose. I think this would work for anyone even with an aftermarket HU bc the bluetooth is controlled by the onstar module not the radio.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The qualiy is really good in my opinion. If you like the way onstar sounds then you will like bluetooth bc its all the same mic and speakers. Felix i have an 08 with factory nav and bose. I think this would work for anyone even with an aftermarket HU bc the bluetooth is controlled by the onstar module not the radio.

Yea I noticed that when I clicked on ScSS's OP link showing on how to switch out the VCIM that the bluetooth is still there and I DO still have those steering wheel controls and the OEM stock mic.... this has me thinking if I should try to get this VCIM too so I can make phone calls through my car but still use the aftermarket nav screen to do everything else.... I don't use OnStar anyways so all i'd really be after is the BT phone calls... anyone know the cost of one of these things???

ryanls1

Reaction score
When i got mine it was 100 shipped from NJ, but i think alot of people have caught on to this idea. I just searched on car-part.com the place i found mine and they dont have any. Just search around for it and one will pop up eventually. I saw the cadillac forum selling them for like 250 new so it up to you buy new or wait for a deal. Also from what i have heard you cant buy these things at the dealer. I guess GM knows what we are doing and is trying to stop us. Must be their way of trying to get me to buy a new tahoe just for blutooth lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg