"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up yesterday and was given the above mentioned memo from GM on the problem. It has been given a case number with GM, they are working on a fix that will be implemented as a recall. Good news is, the problem is being addressed. Bad news is, there is no time line on the fix. Currently there is no fix, only the work around described in the memo.

If it drags out to the middle of next year, my dealer has insured me a great deal on the updated model once the eight speed is mated with the 5.3

I applaud your calm in this situation. I hope that I would be as level-headed as you are but I don't think I would be.

dcaltampa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon Denali Service 4 wd

I am sitting at 1100 miles, same issue happened, the vehicle is saying service 4WD and the transfer case is stuck in 4wd hi perhaps as the tires are skipping and the turning radius is greatly reduced. Transfer case roaring very loud. Shes at the dealer now.

OP
OP
S

SVL

Reaction score
Update

Received call from service late yesterday saying that GM has released a software update that they believe will fix the "Service 4WD" issue. Going to dealer for re-flash this Friday morning.

I'll leave with the truck in Auto and keep it there until the issue either resurfaces or I am comfortable that is is solved.

sssiglover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone post this bulletin once they have it. I'd like to have this before calling my dealer. Thanks

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Received call from service late yesterday saying that GM has released a software update that they believe will fix the "Service 4WD" issue. Going to dealer for re-flash this Friday morning.

I'll leave with the truck in Auto and keep it there until the issue either resurfaces or I am comfortable that is is solved.

Wouldn't it be nice if this is the case! Please let us know what happens after you have a few hundred miles driving it in auto. Fingers crossed for you.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon Denali has been in service 3 times for the "service 4wd" issue and still no fix. What the dealer told me is that the problem is coming from starting or turning off your car while in the "auto" position. He said you can switch to auto after you start as long as you switch back to 2 wheel before turning off. The system was obviously not intended to work that way and he said they are working on a fix. That being said he told me they would have a fix in a week and that was now almost three weeks ago.
For me, the best resolution for all the problems I was having with my Denali was to trade it in , which I did this week. Between the service 4wd issue, the 8spd transmission now standard in the same model year, the clunky drivers seat, poor radio reception and a rattling exhaust it made the most sense to unload it now and minimize my loss. They way I looked at it was to sell now while new inventory is still low and used inventory is almost none and demand is high. They gave me $64k on trade and I paid a little over $68k with a MSRP of $74k. It cost me $4k to drive it 6500 miles which isn't to bad on higher end vehicles. I did consider going the "lemon law" route which I believe I would have won with the documentation that I had but it wouldn't have been worth the trouble because I would have lost the sales tax savings on the trade in.
Overall I can say that owning my 2015 Yukon Denali was a very disappointing experience and it is obvious GM has a long way to go to improve the quality of their high end suv's. I have had a few Denalis in the past and had zero issues with them and will probably still buy a 2016 2wd, 8spd trans. Yukon Denali because I love the new look and I need the space they offer. I also should add that my wife has a 2wd white diamond yukon Denali and she loves it!

Just curios question it happens with you after you start the truck and put it in drive or when you driving?

:hmmm2:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would say "service 4wd" right after start up.
So I got it ,I have 300 + miles in 4wd already what I do is put it back in 2wd before turn the car off and when I start and take off return to 4wd and this way a have not problem for now, it work for me should work for you guys too.

[emoji41]