I have an issue, need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My battery seems to get drained every couple of months. I'm not quite sure why. It will run fine for about 2 months then I'll get up the next morning and its drained. Every time this has happened I have taken it to get tested and it comes out fine, then they charge it and I'm good.
This has happened about 5 times in the past 7 months.
What could cause this. I have had it tested and charged but have been hesitant to drive it for the fact I dont want to get stranded too far from home. That and I dont have AAA.

Does anyone have any kind of problem like this?
Can anyone help me out?
Any and all info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAA for the win - you should get it. it's worth the price.
you have to have something somewhere draining that battery ever so slowly... i'd say a light on permanently somwhere, but that'd kill it a lot faster than taking a whole month.
maybe there's some small loop somewhere that occasionally stays open and drains the battery every so often?

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TheBeast99 is right. Look for something that is staying on. My friend and I installed his cutout in his exhaust and his car started to have this problem. Well I checked it out and it turned out that the light on the switch for the cutout would stay on all the time. So, I had to place another switch to turn off the original cutout switch's light. So have you done any mods that might have something staying on all the time? It could be something like what TheBeast99 stated.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree AAA FTW. I need to sign up.

Huh, I thought about that. I had a remote starter put in a little over a year ago, it has this little light that is constantly on. Its friggin tiny though, I dont see how it could be the culprit.

I have checked my battery cables and installed new terminals to.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you had your alternator checked? my battery died a couple times too. then found out the alternator wasn't charging it enough and replaced it.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that you have a combination of things dogging you. The remote start is part of it. It has to have a RF receiver powered up all the time, waiting for the command to start. The light is probably a LED and is not drawing as much as the receiver.

Your voltage probably drops a tenth of a volt each day over a period of time, until it is finally not high enough to spin the starter.

You should also be seeing 14.5 volts on the system when the engine is running.

You could prove if the starting system is the culprit by removing the fuse to that devise.

I would also remove one of the battery connections and check with a amp meter, what the draw is when everything is off. Also do the same test with the remote start on and off using the fuse to unhook it.

Also, the newer the battery, the easier it can withstand a slight power draw.

Are you using a automatic charger to bring the battery back up, when it fails? :)

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
+1 on the alternator - it sounds like it's working, but not enough to keep the battery fully charged.

Also check the items the other gents spoke of, it sounds like there is a chance they are pulling some energy from the battery when not in use.

Any chance you have a large stereo system in your hoe?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info fellas, I appreciate it.
My alternator is new but, I have had many issues with Advanced Auto reman parts, 2 starters, 3 tensioner assemblies and now I do believe the alternator could be a part of this.

95TT,
I wish I knew what you were talking about when checking the amps. I'm pretty retarded when it comes to electrical work.
I brought it to AA or AZ to test and charge it.

Thanks again

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio Shack has cheap test meters that do the job, for like 16.99. They are called Multi Meters. They have a couple of test leads connected to make testing easy.

Just set the meter to amps and touch one lead to the unhooked battery connection and the other to the empty post. It will measure current draw.

The meter can also be switched to reading votage, or resistance. Handy tool to have around.

You can also see what the battery voltage is before the engine starts and after. Much more accurate than the dash gauge. :)

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 95T, I appreciate the help. I'm going to look for multi meter tomorrow.

Oh sorry sparg, I dont have a big stereo. I'm looking to upgrade but nothing too big, replacement speakers and a 10" sub enclosure. Just trying to figure out what I want to do with the enclosure. I dont want it cluttering up the back.

Forgot to ask. I'm looking to upgrade my alternator. I've seen a couple from Powermaster.
What would be the better choice to replace my reman from AdvancedAuto? I would like something of quality but am not sure which one to get. I'm sure I have a 140 amp one now, what would happen if I got a 200amp?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo