Remove luggage rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1defyag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wanting to remove my luggage rack from 1997 yukon. I was told I had to remove the headliner to do so. I'm not ready to start pulling my interior a part. Is this something I have to do in order to remove the rack?

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Climb up there and look! I don't think you should but then again I only know about the 2000-2010 models.

Also post this in the correct section for your year model, there will definitely be more help there.

OP
OP
1defyag

1defyag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I realized I posted it in the wrong forum after I put it up. If it was newer I would definitly keep them but they are the old black plastic ones. An eye sore to me thanks anyway.

HuskerHoe

Reaction score
It comes right off. Unfortunately you're left with bolt holes in your roof. Not really noticable unless you climb up and look. but unless you seal it up with silicone it will rust your roof out.

I pulled mine off and just sealed up the holes.

OP
OP
1defyag

1defyag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, it will be off tomorrow. I have had this truck for 5 years, I'm getting bored with it plan on giving it a full make over.

99YukonJS

Reaction score
It comes right off. Unfortunately you're left with bolt holes in your roof. Not really noticable unless you climb up and look. but unless you seal it up with silicone it will rust your roof out.

I pulled mine off and just sealed up the holes.

Quick question, I want to remove mine as well (1999) and was wondering;

- do you need to access the inside to remove it ?

- Or are the nuts inside spot-welded to the roof and just need to remove bolts on the outside ?

Thank you !

OP
OP
1defyag

1defyag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question, I want to remove mine as well (1999) and was wondering;

- do you need to access the inside to remove it ?

- Or are the nuts inside spot-welded to the roof and just need to remove bolts on the outside ?

Thank you !

I haven't got mine yet my little boy got chicken pox been busy. From what I read all we have to do is back the bolts out take the rack off, and fill the holes with silicon. I should get mine off this week I'll give you more info then.

99YukonJS

Reaction score
I haven't got mine yet my little boy got chicken pox been busy. From what I read all we have to do is back the bolts out take the rack off, and fill the holes with silicon. I should get mine off this week I'll give you more info then.

Cool ! That would be awesome, thanks in advance. :)

I'll be replacing mine with a custom full-length rack... :Caffeine:

xX Mavr1ck Xx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is outside, you need a star bit to get them out though if I remember right. Just unscrew them all And it will come right off, there was a lot of filth under mine when I did it.