1999 Tahoe Hydroboost Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
I installed a hydroboost setup on my 2 door tahoe two weeks ago. The whipple and intercooler will be back on in a couple of weeks.

Parts:
- Hydroboost and Master cylinder from local junk yard (98 HD truck)
- New AC Delco steering pump for a hydroboost truck
- Ebay Mounting plate with centered whole
- Hydratech aeroquip hose and fitting kit for my application
- Various stainless nuts and bolts from mcmaster
- 3/8-16 thread die for the hydroboost pushrod
- Ac delco brake light switch
- Steering and brake fluid

I took the snap ring off the unit and unscrewed the retaining nut with a big adjustable wrench and test fitted the new plate. All fit perfectly and the holes of the new plate matched the stock plate holes.

(I used this centered plate because I used the stock brake pedal).
I bought the plate from ebay from the seller sterlingworth16. It is 3/16" thick steel.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/sterlingworth16_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZ

IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg

Pic of the master cylinder.
IMG_0086.jpg

I cut and threaded (3/8-16) the pushrod making it shorter by +- 5 mm. Once I get my vacumm booster off I'll measure and adjust the rod to the same length. The joining nut is stainless and 1-1/8" long. By doing this and using the center mounting plate, I can reuse my stock brake pedal.

End result:
IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg

Hydratech hose and fitting kit for a 99 tahoe. These are Aeroquip TFE high pressure hose and fittings. Great service and packaging on hydratech's part.
IMG_0092.jpg

Before
IMG_0109.jpg

After
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg

Filthy!
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

This setup has been on for about two week so far and has worked great. I actually had my first panic stop yesterday and was glad I did the swap.

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never one to worry about looking stupid here. What is a hydroboost and whats it do?

I can see it obviously takes the place of your brake booster. Is this the great fix to our ****** brakes?

Oh....and that whippled hoe is bad ass.

OP
OP
Whippled2dr

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
what was your overall amount of money spent?? looks good

- Hydroboost and Master cylinder from local junk yard (98 HD truck) - $100
- New AC Delco steering pump for a hydroboost truck - $80
- Ebay Mounting plate with centered whole - $30
- Hydratech aeroquip hose and fitting kit for my application - $200
- Various stainless nuts and bolts from mcmaster - $30
- 3/8-16 thread die for the hydroboost pushrod - $15 (bought a set to have)
- Ac delco brake light switch - $5
- Steering and brake fluid - $? (2qts of steering and large bottle of brake fluid)

So about under $500 for everything. The Hydratech kit costs $700. You can do the swap for far less if you don't flip your hydroboost and use stock hoses.

GreyFox

Reaction score
Never one to worry about looking stupid here. What is a hydroboost and whats it do?

I can see it obviously takes the place of your brake booster. Is this the great fix to our ****** brakes?

Oh....and that whippled hoe is bad ass.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/brakes/0601sc_hydro/index.html

Heck I had to look it up.
in short yes it should be an upgrade. But the stock lines may not be able to handle the increased pressure.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

if i'm wrong please correct me.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't feel like clicking and reading the link: Hydroboost is the brake system that many 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks use. Instead of have vacuum assisted brakes, hydroboost is, as the name implies, hydrolically assisted. It's a lot more powerful and increases stoping ability significantly. I need to do this upgrade to my truck once I get my new engine in there.

I actually have heard the hydroboost setup is more beneficial than converting to rear around disc brakes.

GreyFox

Reaction score
If you don't feel like clicking and reading the link: Hydroboost is the brake system that many 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks use. Instead of have vacuum assisted brakes, hydroboost is, as the name implies, hydrolically assisted. It's a lot more powerful and increases stoping ability significantly. I need to do this upgrade to my truck once I get my new engine in there.

I actually have heard the hydroboost setup is more beneficial than converting to rear around disc brakes.

but is the cost worth it. I talked to my buddy about it and he said he hated it when it first came out. To be more exact when they were putting it on cars and trucks that had no business having hydro boost. That and he said it was too expensive to repair if it went bad. the number he told me was about $700 and that was over 30 yrs ago.
Also does it affect ABS?

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+3
yeah Whipple go stomp on them really hard and see if it locks up i bet it does, lol make sure ur seat belts on tho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ynamot