Question: Trucks without Third Row

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Do the Tahoe/Yukon's that are shipped without a 50/50 split third row have the mounting points on the rear floor for the third row seats, but just covered by carpet or plastic filler plates or do they not have the mounting points at all?

To ask the question another way, can vehicles that were ordered without third row seats have the third row retrofitted without cutting/welding the floor pan?

-B

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a chance to look but it's pretty easy to check, just pop up your rear plastic along the floor where it meets the rear hatch door. Then pull up the carpet, jute padding and check for holes. Those holes if they exist should have threads for installing the 3rd row seat brackets.

If you find you have them and/or want a 3rd row, I have all the mounts, bolts and the 3rd row I can sell you cheap. I had the shale tan interior on a 2002.

B

OP
OP
B

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Boss,

That'd work great if I had one of those trucks. Mine has a third row. I'm interested for shopping purposes. :)

-B

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused...if you have a 3rd row, why are you asking if the ones that don't come with a 3rd row can install one easily?

BOSS

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '03 Yukon. It came witout the 3rd row seats, but it does have the mounts/anchors. They're clearly visible. No need to pull the carpet up, because GM didn't bother to hide them.

OP
OP
B

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused...if you have a 3rd row, why are you asking if the ones that don't come with a 3rd row can install one easily?

BOSS

Because I have my eye on another one and it doesn't have a third row. Before I buy it I want to know what my options are for adding a third row.

I have a '03 Yukon. It came witout the 3rd row seats, but it does have the mounts/anchors. They're clearly visible. No need to pull the carpet up, because GM didn't bother to hide them.

Some of these trucks don't have the anchor points visible. I'll post a pic if I can find one. There are no cuts in the carpet and there is no plastic trim. The carpet is smooth in the back. I've never been able to "disassemble" the interior trim on one of these enough to lift the carpet and see what's underneath. Did GM make some with a smooth floor pan and some with the anchor points, or do they all have the anchor points and GM just didn't trim the carpet to expose the anchor points on the vehicles that were ordered without the optional rear 50/50 split? Beats me. I was hoping a GM Tech would know or someone on here who has a ride with smooth rear carpet and no 50/50 split has the time to pull his rear trim, lift the carpet, and feel/look around back there.

-B

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
My 05 tahoe did not have a 3rd row and the carpet in the back had no mounting points visible. I bought the mounting brackets & bolts and the holes were under the carpet, so it was pretty much bolt n go. However from what I've read, you can only add 3rd row to Tahoe/Yukons that have the hatch rear door instead of the barnyard doors.

OP
OP
B

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Interesting. When you said the holes were under the carpet you mean there was a recesses for the anchor bars AND threaded holes for bolting the anchor bars in - you just had to buy the anchor bars? You didn't have to cut into the floor plan?

-B

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
Interesting. When you said the holes were under the carpet you mean there was a recesses for the anchor bars AND threaded holes for bolting the anchor bars in - you just had to buy the anchor bars? You didn't have to cut into the floor plan?

-B

the carpet had no indications of the 3rd row mounting points. Under the carper everything is there, no cutting, just bolt in. Then cut the carpet to allow for the brackets to work with the seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mxd220