Seafoam, bad MPG after use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I seafoamed my hoe today. It's an 04 5.3L with 66k on it. I put half into the PCV hose, and the other half into about 4 gallons of gas. I drove it maybe 20 miles, put a full tank of 98 octane in, and now all the sudden my CPU is showing crap numbers like 8.5 mpg. At the worst, I've gotten 11.5 before the treatment. I noticed that the heads up CPU showed that only 0.1 gallons of gas had been consumed, and then no matter how far I drove the number would not go up. I have been getting 12.5-13.5 mpg with city driving lately, so I am a bit concerned.

I guess what I'm asking is, if it loosened up crap (very large smoke cloud, by the way) would it run rich at first and need to recalibrate? is there a sensor that could have gotten jacked?

thanks in advance.

BH

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
BUUUUUUUUUMP.

Did anyone notice that their how had to re-learn the fuel air mix after running Seafoam in the vac lines? Seems if it cleaned out a bunch of carbon from the intake it would need to recalibrate itself. Maybe I need to drive it a little more for it to get up to speed.

Any input is appreciated, and I guess I'll find out tomorrow on my 200 mile trip to Abilene.

BH

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could have fubared an 02...
it does happen rarely

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
you could have fubared an 02...
it does happen rarely

wouldn't that throw a code?

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could have fouled out the plugs to... I generally change plugs after a cleaning :)

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I'll check the plugs. It seems to drive ok though, the HUD just shows crappy numbers. :(

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it completely stop smokin or did you just use so much in the intake and wanted the rest in the tank??

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seem some kill plugs and tweak o2 sensors with seafoam. I did it once myself and regretted it...

You want to "clean" and lubricate the upper end I'd suggest looking into the 2 stroke oil in your gas. Cleans like no other & will keep the upper end lubricated helping smooth out idle, keep plugs clean, & constantly work on carbon buildup. Good for gas mileage increase as well.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

It's waaaaay cheaper and waaaay better than any other gas additive or top end cleaner.

Cameron

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
Did it completely stop smokin or did you just use so much in the intake and wanted the rest in the tank??

used half in the intake, and the rest in the gas tank. I drove it a short bit tonight and the MPGs went up. I need to get it out on the highway for a stretch and see what happens. Stop & go traffic makes my MPGs suck as it is.

I checked my plugs, and the two I pulled look normal.

Bh

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been over to the ls1.com forum to read about this 2 cycle oil gas treatment? I have read over 14 pgs about it and the reults seem overwhemingly in agreement that it works. Anyone tried this of know of this treatment? If so what are your thoughts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts