Depo vs Sonar and then some other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the crappy light output.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062665.964507.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062665.964507.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062709.211381.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062709.211381.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 158
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062762.076324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302062762.076324.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 46

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That is pretty crappy output.

All I can suggest is retrofitting some real HID projectors into those. I guarantee that'd fix the crappy light issue. The problem with aftermarket lights, and often aftermarket projectors, is they are low quality to begin with and were never designed to handle HID's. Some manage alright, but others just plain suck when you throw the HID's in them.

Have a Dodge truck with HID's drive at you at night some time....that's a perfect example of a headlight that should NOT have HID's in them.

Good luck!

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, so how do I find some real hid projectors? The have to be similar in size I guess so is there a standard size?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I agree, so how do I find some real hid projectors? The have to be similar in size I guess so is there a standard size?

There have been a few threads on doing retro's. There really isn't a standard size HID projector, so a few people have used different ones. I did mine, which you can check out in my signature link, but those are Denali lights. Not sure how helpful that'd be to you.

If I can remember who has done them for tahoes, I'll let you know. I think there is another walk-through in the Tech Section, so you could try looking there.

Oh, as for finding them, there are a few good places to look. I got mine from here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=bk18g0g02om4ddrchj053gb3mciiemp9

They have several different kinds, sizes, etc. The guy (Matt) that runs the site is really easy to work with. If you have questions, just call him up and he'll help you out.

Last edited:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That light output looks just like my halo projector output. Mines worse though.

For the retro fit, ive been searching and looking and saved all the threads about retro lights into headlights, but they are all depo ones. I have yet to find one of the halos. I know most dont like it, but thats why i do, different.

But got a question, anyone know the size of the halo ring?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
The original set of lights I bought for my retro were halo's, but they were freakin' epoxied shut so I couldn't bake them apart. That's why DEPO's are easier to work with for retro's. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible or that they are all like that. I'd like another crack at them just for kicks sometime.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score

For the retro fit, ive been searching and looking and saved all the threads about retro lights into headlights, but they are all depo ones. I have yet to find one of the halos. I know most dont like it, but thats why i do, different.

Depends you could do a full circle or Half circle to make it look bigger..also depends on what headlight when I get my depos I'm going to go around the outer chrome piece to give it a clean look it's gotta be balanced.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pretty crappy output.

All I can suggest is retrofitting some real HID projectors into those. I guarantee that'd fix the crappy light issue. The problem with aftermarket lights, and often aftermarket projectors, is they are low quality to begin with and were never designed to handle HID's. Some manage alright, but others just plain suck when you throw the HID's in them.

Have a Dodge truck with HID's drive at you at night some time....that's a perfect example of a headlight that should NOT have HID's in them.

Good luck!

Why would a projector output halogen and hid differently? Rephrase- why would a projector have a good output with halogen and not with hid?

If you have the sonars, the halos are 85mm.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Why would a projector output halogen and hid differently? Rephrase- why would a projector have a good output with halogen and not with hid?

Most true HID projectors are ECE compatible...the European standard for the way light should be output, cutoff, beam shape, etc. It is stricter than SAE standards, which is the U.S. version, and doesn't allow as much glare or light into on-coming lanes. So, if you throw an HID capsule designed for an ECE projector into an SAE projector approved for halogen...it's going to allow even more glare, extra light, worse cutoff, etc.

It is in essence a limitation of design and the standards which the designs are made for. If you get a true HID projector, the light will be spread and cutoff to ECE standards, thus making glare minimal and insuring the best use of the output light.

Many halogen projectors, especially aftermarket ones, are also made with poor materials and optics. Mine are glass lenses with a specific focus. If you get an aftermarket light, you are most likely not getting something with much R&D behind it, and the lens is probably made of plastic.

The U.S. is really behind in automotive lighting standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364