1996 Yukon rear door speakers not functioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExEvolution

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket Sony stereo, checked and double checked my wiring and everything is correct but the rear door speakers will not work. When I take the speakers out of the car and plug them onto something else they work fine. On my old car (Cadillac devil 1992) it hand a factory amplifier which I had to bypass to get it working with the speakers so I thought there may be some unknown amplifier in this car that I can't seem to figure out. The rear hatch speakers are blown (the conductive thread wire has torn on both of them but it will work if I manually connect it) so front and rear speakers work only the rear passenger doors are giving me issues.

Edit: After a bit of poking around I found a small metal box under the driver seat with wires running to and from it in a single harness. The colors of the wires match up with the rear speakers. If I bypass this box I'm assuming my speakers will work fine after this so I'm gonna splice. Does anyone know which colors belong to each speaker on the speaker side of the box? can I just run a wire through the harness as a passthrough

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
62392431.gif
62392432.gif
62392551.gif

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

If you have not noticed, your sony unit did not get the amp to power up which is what drives the rear doors. You can hookup the pink wire in the radio cavity to your sony external amp trigger and should be back to normal.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

just hook up the amp turn on lead from your deck to the blue wire on your harness.

Different wire color to the power amp relay.

OP
OP
E

ExEvolution

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi again and thanks for the response. I looked again following the diagrams posted and the pink wire is already connected to the blue wire on the harness so I think the amplifier is blown. I'm guessing at this point the best solution would be to bypass it completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons