Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Suburban 1500LT. Has the 5.3 engine and 4x4. My cruise control has quit working, or is intermittent. Buddy told me it is a brake actuator switch. Not sure I have the terminology right. Anyway, I have to pull up on the brake pedal for the cruise to work. My Burb has well over 100k on the odometer so no warranty there. I suppose the switch is a dealer item unless you guys/gals know otherwise. Is there a fix rather than a replace? Please advise.:hands:

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my 07 tahoe. Pulled the switch off, went to the dealership and bought a new one for less then $10, put it on in the parking light and it was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my 07 tahoe. Pulled the switch off, went to the dealership and bought a new one for less then $10, put it on in the parking light and it was good to go.

Yup, what he said. Do you have aftermarket tails?

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you!

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Where is that switch at? Mine is going through the same thing? And it's F%^king annoying. Is it possible to take a pix of it and post it?

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is that switch at? Mine is going through the same thing? And it's F%^king annoying. Is it possible to take a pix of it and post it?

Lay down in the floorboard, follow the brake pedal up and find the switch pictured below, unplug the wiring on the left side of the switch, the use a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the metal clip off that has the yellow mark on it. Then pull the switch part straight off the shaft towards the passenger side and it's off. Follow the same steps to put it back together. Make sure the new switch, shaft, booster rod and clip are all reinstalled the same way they were removed. It'll only go back together correctly one way.

636e2ef1-8fac-ff32.jpg

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lay down in the floorboard, follow the brake pedal up and find the switch pictured below, unplug the wiring on the left side of the switch, the use a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the metal clip off that has the yellow mark on it. Then pull the switch part straight off the shaft towards the passenger side and it's off. Follow the same steps to put it back together. Make sure the new switch, shaft, booster rod and clip are all reinstalled the same way they were removed. It'll only go back together correctly one way.

636e2ef1-8fac-ff32.jpg

Thanks man, picture really helps out, now I know what to look for.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, picture really helps out, now I know what to look for.
Hey guys it worked! Thanks for the feedback and imagery. It took me about 15 minutes to replace the $15.00 part. Took more time getting the clip off the stud that the part hooks onto. Took a nice ride to test out the cruise. It works! Man I'm glad I joined this forum.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the name of the part that needs to be replaced, maybe part number too, and can i get it at an auto parts store or do I need to get it from the dealer? I have the same issue. I have an aftermarket tow brake system and was told it needs to be removed and is two hours of labor but if I can do it myself for $15, I'd rather go that route. Thx in advance!

kwikwater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's the trick to "pop" the clip? I'm better at mangling things like this and after 30 mins of "gently" prying in every direction, I've elected to wait for advice!! the cruise, can wait... I'm betting I don't' want to know about replacing the mangled clip!!

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Never mind! I figured out the clip, but took a while to find the clip after it went flying!! All is well. There's a lot to be said for shop time. They have more resources in factory info and other technicians' experience. That why it takes them 5 minutes for what it took me 45!! But my time is WAY cheaper!!!!