Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to Hijack-

But, Blueflamed- I have my Motive Gear book here and want to make sure I am looking at the right thing-

Our Trucks are k15's right? Or at least that is how it is listed in the book. Anyway what would be a good ratio for our trucks? What's the stock ratio? I can get anything from a 2.73 to a 5.57 gear.

Also, Auburn lockers...Any good? I have heard good stuff about them, just wanted a second opinion.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
our is the 8.5/8.6 R&P (ring and penion)
Motive, OEM, etc all make good gears.
Facory gears coiuld be a varierty. Best is to run your VIN and try to decode it.
You may have 3.42, or 3.73.
Gear ratio depends on tire height, and RPM's you desire.

Auburn makes NICE lockers.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our is the 8.5/8.6 R&P (ring and penion)
Motive, OEM, etc all make good gears.
Facory gears coiuld be a varierty. Best is to run your VIN and try to decode it.
You may have 3.42, or 3.73.
Gear ratio depends on tire height, and RPM's you desire.

Auburn makes NICE lockers.

Ok,

Best thing is, I am getting Dealer price for the Gears and locker. BTW, Would the tag on the rear end tell me (If there even is one)?

As for the new gear... I eventually (Hopefully by next year) Will be adding a super charger to the mix of modifications to the truck. So, In that case would a 3.90 gear be the way to go? That should keep me light on gas and have some more pickup and more gear.

A 4.10 gear might be out of the question because of the fuel consumption that kind of gearing takes...What ya think?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ever plan on getting 20's, and taller tires?
The 4L60e is electronic OD, so IMHO, I have 31" tall tires, 4.10's is perfect!
But if you can go drive on the highway, say set cruise at 55mph, whatever, log what RPM it's at. Then post tire size you have, we can get a close estimate on what gearing you do have.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ever plan on getting 20's, and taller tires?
The 4L60e is electronic OD, so IMHO, I have 31" tall tires, 4.10's is perfect!
But if you can go drive on the highway, say set cruise at 55mph, whatever, log what RPM it's at. Then post tire size you have, we can get a close estimate on what gearing you do have.

OK,

Friday, I shall see what my RPM's average at...Also going to look at some wheels / tires as well Friday so I will let ya know then...

BTW, Ever find any thing on those wheels for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925