Another headlight retro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this last week, finally had a chance to take some pics and post. These are a set of aftermarket OE replacements headlight housings, FX-R Bixenon projectors, E46-R extended shrouds, 4300K osram D2S bulbs powered by an set of OEM 35W acura TL balasts. didndt cost me to much out of pocket as I only had to buy housings and shrouds, i had bulbs/projectors/ballast sitting around unused for a few years.
Took the better part of the day to get it done, with the majority of time spent on the first one and the second was much quicker. I had some concern about space behind the headlights, as the projector/bulb/socket, stuck out further than the original bulb/plug did, and there is a bulky steel bar directly behind the low beam. it fit right in with only a little shaving of material (1/8" +/-) off the bulb socket.

Overall very happy, lots of light, plenty of color at the cuttoff and halogen + HID highbeams = daylight in front of my truck when needed

2011-11-27_14-27-47_935.jpg

2011-11-27_14-28-00_424.jpg

2011-11-27_14-28-27_698.jpg

2011-11-27_14-28-14_700.jpg

I had purchased a pair of these, to replace the two reflectors for signal / DRL / parking lights. trimming them down and setting them about 1/2" back in the recess they looked good, but the set i purchased had an amber switchback function, which i was unsure if would be bright enough as a signal in bright daylight. Also the white LEDs were not as bright as i would have liked. They have 7watt white only units that are probably plenty bright , but they lack the amber switchback funtion. So I ditched them, also I had some concerns about the overall quality of the LEDS, and once finished with a set of headlights I dont like to have to go back in.

$(KGrHqNHJDcE63Z(k0pIBOz)+NmsfQ~~60_12.jpg

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome work there Roy.

Good to know that there's enough room for the FX-Rs giving you the ability to use the better d2S bulbs as opposed to the H1s.

How much space between the lens and the plastic?

And get us a couple of cutoff pics. :)

OP
OP
drroy

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post some output pics when i get a chance. Despite the housings large size with that steel bar/member directly behind the low beam reflector, space is at a premium. with the way the E46 shrouds fit in the reflector (perfect I/O diameter match), the projector is right up against the lens.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I figured. That's why I went with the Mini H1s instead so as to have some spacing.

web.jpg

And even with the H1s to get spacing a lot of trimming was required and they are right up against the painted beam.

And we had to cut a 1 square inch notch in the other vertical beam to get the inners in.

web.jpg

It's tight up in there. :)

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know someone will ask, so Ill do it first.. wanna make another set? :D

OP
OP
drroy

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know someone will ask, so Ill do it first.. wanna make another set? :D

I appreciate the offer but will have to decline, my days of retrofitting for income are long behind me.....When I was in medical school and so broke it was pathetic, I was doing a few retrofits a month to make ends meet, mostly on 00-03 maximas, I needed the money and i needed the business and was doing retros for $200 flat rate.

But it is not a very difficult process, and does not require a terrible amount of skill, I would be happy to help you out w/ any info you would need to do it yourself.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Serge, I borrowed you photo to illustrate where the bulb socket/back of projector lands and how much of the socket has to be trimmed. good info for anyone contemplating a retro:D

Untitled-1.png

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer but will have to decline, my days of retrofitting for income are long behind me.....When I was in medical school and so broke it was pathetic, I was doing a few retrofits a month to make ends meet, mostly on 00-03 maximas, I needed the money and i needed the business and was doing retros for $200 flat rate.

Man if you changed this to:

I appreciate the offer but will have to decline, my days of parking lot favors for income are long behind me.....When I was in remedial school and so broke it was pathetic, I was doing a few floppies a month to make ends meet, mostly on 70-80 year olds, I needed the money and i needed the business and was doing unmentionables for $20 flat rate.

... it'd be like looking in the mirror.

Creepy!

And ScSS, you should learn how to do this yourself and offer it as a service. :waytogo: (I mean the retro btw, not the other thing)

OP
OP
drroy

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man if you changed this to:

I appreciate the offer but will have to decline, my days of parking lot favors for income are long behind me.....When I was in remedial school and so broke it was pathetic, I was doing a few floppies a month to make ends meet, mostly on 70-80 year olds, I needed the money and i needed the business and was doing unmentionables for $20 flat rate.

... it'd be like looking in the mirror.

Creepy!

And ScSS, you should learn how to do this yourself and offer it as a service. :waytogo: (I mean the retro btw, not the other thing)

:laughing1:Those werent the greatest years of my life....but they werent that bad

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd do it in a heartbeat Serge, but I have no workable space at our living arrangements right now. NC House just went under contract, once she sells, we'll uproot from here and get situated.

To Mr. Drroy, can you maybe point me in the direction of what parts I need for a similar setup? I'm a 4300k guy all the way.

OP
OP
drroy

drroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FX-R projectors

E46-R extended shrouds

shroud centric rings

Ballasts

Bulbs

Those are all links to the retrofit source, you dont necessarily need to purchase there, but i have bought a bunch of stuff off Matt and have always had good experience. There is usually a deal to be had if you buy the projectors/shrouds and rings together , he will usually at least give free shipping if you email him directly.

For bulbs I always recommend OEM osram/phillips/GE 4300K, watch out though I understand there is a lot of chinese phillips replica knockoffs on ebay these days.

Any Ballast (with a P32-D bulb socket) will do. I used to recommend OEM only, but the chinese are so cheap these days ($10) and actualy hold up most times, that they are probably a viable option if looking for some savings.

AS for tools, a dremel kit, drill, drill bits and 2 1/4" hole saw. +/- hand tools and wiring tools

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ridnclean18