Engine Freeze plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgg11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know whether there is a freeze plug located directly behind/under the passenger side motor mount on a 5.3L 2001 Yukon? And if so, what is the best way to remove & replace w/out removing engine? I have antifreeze on this motor mount & cannot determine a leak source. Any good way to confirm the freeze plug is source w/out removal of motor mount?

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
I've heard of some mech's putting a dye in the antifeeze (or other fluid that is leaking) that "glows" under a blacklight to help determine the origin of a leak.
I've never done it myself though.... I've always cleaned things up, and then looked for the highest point of the "wetness". You know...gravity and all.

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water can run from anywhere so use a mirror and a light or even dry everything with paper towels, start the truck and run your finger around it and check to see if your finger is wet.

OP
OP
R

rgg11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I guess I will pursue the dye route as everything is pretty clean & dry. I am hoping it is not leaking into combustion chamber or oil pan,

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I guess I will pursue the dye route as everything is pretty clean & dry. I am hoping it is not leaking into combustion chamber or oil pan,

I would think that if it was leaking internally, you wouldn't be finding it on the motor mount. Has to be leaking "out" to get there.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
There is a dye made by FJC. It comes in a very small bottle of only a few ounces. It's very cheap to. If I were at work I could tell you the part number, but for now you'll have to settle with my memory. Iirc, the FJC number is something like 2536 or 2539. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure right now.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j