2007 Denali transmission question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a 2007 Denali last November. Seemed to shift a bit funny, coming from a 2003 Avalanche. Had the tranny serviced at the dealer just after I bought it. Still doesn't seem just right. I would say most of the issue is after coasting for a bit, or rolling thru a stop (yield) sign, and then given gas, it seems to shift hard. Sometimes pulling into my driveway, slight uphill, it acts like it slips a bit too. Or maybe like its not downshifting, and over torquing. I have the 6.2l and the 6 speed in it. 89,000 miles.

Am I looking at a rebuild? Is it just that much different than the Avalanche so it seems jerky? Are there additives that might get it going a bit smoother? Ive added the LucasOil tranny additive already. Would a tuner with some shift tuning help?

Any help, suggestions, information, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, when you're coasting then give it gas, it feels like it slams into gear. A BB tune helped but it seems as though its come back. I'm going to try reflashing my tune b/c that seemed to help last time but I know what you mean and it concerned me. I have the same year and model truck too.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 was still a 4 speed right?
I've heard these things are really rough around the edges.

Not that the 6 speed is fantastic mind you.

Did the dealer drive around with the diagnostic thingie to see if it's working properly?
My understanding is that the TCM can also be reset.

OP
OP
C

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it has the 6 speed. I thought the build sheet said that's what was in it. When I go into the manual mode, and shift with the up/down buttons on the shift lever, it goes from M1 to M6. It also seems like it shifts that many times while accelerating normally.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I do not know if they drove around with anything monitoring the tranny when they finished. Can I reset the TCM myself?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, so far as I know the dealer has to do it.

Or it can be reprogrammed through a tune.

But I'm not an expert so don't take my word for it.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 was still a 4 speed right?
I've heard these things are really rough around the edges.

Not that the 6 speed is fantastic mind you.

Did the dealer drive around with the diagnostic thingie to see if it's working properly?
My understanding is that the TCM can also be reset.

The 5.3l have the 4 speed years 07-08. In 09 they swapped them with 6 speed. Denalis/esky has had them since 07.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so I just read that I can reset the TCM by pressing the gas pedal all the way down 3 times within 5 seconds. This resets the shift points to my driving habits, rather than grandmas driving habits that may have owned the vehicle prior to me.

Do I need to call Mythbusters or go seemingly act like this wouldn't work and try it anyway?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

cgraydotcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UGH. Leave it to Google to send me someplace totally unassociated to what I'm looking for. Seems that was a forum for Audi, not a Yukon. Why that would even show up when you type in "reset TCM Yukon Denali".

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stepping the gas three times in five seconds is to reset the Change engine oil soon message. Lol at least thats how it was on my 01 Silverado.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans