VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Yukon Hybrid complete with DVD, NAV, etc. One of the features that I'd like to have is the capability to make/receive phone calls via bluetooth through the factory radio. I've done some research but need to confirm my thoughts before I proceed. My understanding is that VCIM part number: 20787107 will work with my truck. After having the dealer re-program, I'll be able to retain OnStar and will gain Bluetooth and the OnStar Link app capabilities.

Can anybody confirm this is the right part number: 20787107?

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a few things that you have to do here. (this is what i did on my truck)

1. to have the option for remote link to work i bought a 2011+ vcim.
2. 2011+vcim has only two antenna connections in the back (prior ones had 3) so you have to buy a 'splitter',,,here is a link https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5661. here is a pic of the oem splitter. you only need the splitter to the right of the pic not the piece on the left.
F05%20OnStar%20tool%20EL49903-3.JPG

when you have that it allows onstar to send directions directly to your nav (if you have a 2011+nav)

I was not able to get onstar to connect my new vcim with my car (to much hassle) so i just called onstar and told them i just bought this car and would like to set up a new account (they think i drive a 2011 tahoe).

everything works smooth, onstar, remote link app, i can send nav directions from my phone to the nav system, i can call onstar and they send directions directly to my nav.

so as long as that part number they gave you is from a 2011 up tahoe your good to go. i would check ebay first(where i bought mine) just search for a 2011 up tahoe vcim bluetooth.

hope this helps

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bo. Are you able to use bluetooth? I'm assuming that's a yes...but just double checking.

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bo, do you have a part number for the VCIM?

IrishTR

Reaction score
Sadly it will just be better imo to buy a nicer pioneer aftermarket unit with better bells and whistles than to try and just add half arsed bluetooth to the factory junk.

$702.69 for the radio and all the additonal cables to integrate with all factory controls and rse. Done! Amazon Prime

Pioneer AVHX8500BHS $489.85

PAC RP5G31 Aftermarket integration kit for our vehicle with Bose, Onstar & Steering wheel controls $108.67

PAC Rear Seat Entertainment integration $25.56

PAC USB Updater (incase I wanna update when PAC sends updates for the RP5G31 unit) $31.78

Parking Brake Override Bypass for Pioneer Unit $19.99

Pioneer Android Control Adapter $52.40

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also done this mod. I have a 2007 tahoe with the bose system with out navigation. I upgraded the radio to a Rosen with rear view camera and navigation. I later on did the upgrade with a 2010 vcim with no dealer visit.
I ordered the part from car-part.com part # 20829984. What your going to need to do is look up
chasis control computer then look for
communication -onstar with voice recognition.
This is what I did, when I got the unit i removed the old unit and installed the new one called onstar and updated my info onstar thinks I own a 2010 but it did not bother me. All the features work including remote link which stars your car open and close doors and informs you of how much gas u have etc. I hope this helps you out and good luck.

ledlow

Reaction score
link does not work...

there are a few things that you have to do here. (this is what i did on my truck)

1. to have the option for remote link to work i bought a 2011+ vcim.
2. 2011+vcim has only two antenna connections in the back (prior ones had 3) so you have to buy a 'splitter',,,here is a link https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5661. here is a pic of the oem splitter. you only need the splitter to the right of the pic not the piece on the left.
F05%20OnStar%20tool%20EL49903-3.JPG

when you have that it allows onstar to send directions directly to your nav (if you have a 2011+nav)

I was not able to get onstar to connect my new vcim with my car (to much hassle) so i just called onstar and told them i just bought this car and would like to set up a new account (they think i drive a 2011 tahoe).

everything works smooth, onstar, remote link app, i can send nav directions from my phone to the nav system, i can call onstar and they send directions directly to my nav.

so as long as that part number they gave you is from a 2011 up tahoe your good to go. i would check ebay first(where i bought mine) just search for a 2011 up tahoe vcim bluetooth.

hope this helps

Albertayukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the splitter you need for this? This is one of my planned mods and the above link does not work.

Ted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhanson002