New 2014 Yukon Denali owner - Need help on headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madmanhiker

Reaction score
Hello all. I needed to ask a basic question here... is it really true that in order to change a light (in this case the h13 bulb) that you need to basically remove the front bumper???

Is there a DIY on this somewhere?

I am in the process of changing the halogen lights to HID and I'm no stranger to this type of work. I went out in the garage to get started thinking I could just pop the hood and get to work, but the back of the headlights are not accessible.

Taking the front bumper off isn't difficult, but jeez........ really??? What does the average joe do? Take it to the dealer?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post before and after pics of what I am planning to do, I think some folks may be interested. Tasteful and extremely practical.

Thanks in advance.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes..... but can be worked around.

I think so.

Please don't put hids in halogen housings....... Papa Sergio will be angry

Yes more or so about it

Welcome to TYF

OP
OP
madmanhiker

madmanhiker

Reaction score
Yes..... but can be worked around.

I think so.

Please don't put hids in halogen housings....... Papa Sergio will be angry

Yes more or so about it

Welcome to TYF

Thanks. :) I'd be interested in what that workaround entails......

+1 on the HID in halogen housings, however, there are new HID systems out there that are half the length than what most install. The "sparkle" feature which blinds people is caused by the lamp extending further than an OEM halogen bulb which causes irregular beam pattern. There are mini-HID bulbs out there, more expensive but they solve this issue.

Also, 35w is the maximum that should be used. They are low heat, cause virtually no clouding to the interior of the poly lens of the headlight itself, and emit more light than a standard halogen with less power.

Lastly, the color temperature used should NEVER go over 5000K. 4350K is OEM (yellow/white) and 5000K is pure white.

The aftermarket headlights available to are made by two vendors - 1. Spyder and 2. SpecD

Both have issues with condensation (or so have been reported on many sites). If anyone here has a personal experience with either of those aftermarket headlights, I'd love to hear from them.

In the meantime, I will work on the mini-bulb HID conversion and show my results to the forum. I'll post before beam and after beam.

I'm not a fan of installing HID in a halogen housing anymore than the next guy, but there is really not many projector based aftermarket headlights available for the 2007-2014 Yukon market... which is utterly surprising to me considering how many are on the roads.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Robert ... you are misinformed on a few things, probably from the way vendors advertise their products in order to make buyers feel better about purchasing them. Some of the things you state are simply impossible from an optical engineering and physics point of view. There are some links in my signature highlighted in yellow, red, and green, if you want to learn more about it.

OP
OP
madmanhiker

madmanhiker

Reaction score
Papa Sergio ^^^^

lol. yes, I see that. I'm reading and watching the videos. It's all good. :)

It's just a shame that this 62K beast I just bought has terrible headlights.

Are there any headlights (complete headlight - perhaps projector designed for HID) that I can buy to give my wife BETTER light for driving at night? Money isn't an issue.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give BFC a shout and they will build you a custom setup according to your budget and what quality components you want to use. http://blackflamecustoms.com

You can also contact Bjorn at customlightz but I'm not sure he's doing that many retros these days.

And you can also research more on the hidplanet forum and on theretrofitsource website where there is a lot more introductory information.

And I can always try to answer a question if I know the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968