07 Yukon Oil Consumption, making progress?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon XL is an O7, bought new in Aug 06 (8 years old this month), has the 5.3, 4.10 rear, towing package, and is relatively low mileage for the year, currently at 75k.

Started with some oil consumption around 50k (but outside of warranty, so I didn't even bother the dealer with it). I learned more about the issue on this board as the consumption continued to get worse. Late last year, it was running a quart every 1000 - 1250 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less. The worst was about a quart in 750 miles when towing my 30ft, 7000lb travel trailer. I have never seen any smoke from the tailpipe, and there is no soot on the tailpipe. Outside of the oil consumption, truck runs great.

On my last oil change, consumption had been reduced to 1.5 quarts in 4,500 miles, and needless to say I am pretty happy. And I think I just found out where some of the remainder might be going. Here is what I did:

- installed the Range AFM delete to keep the motor in v8 mode. It works great and is pretty inexpensive at about $199. Remove it and it leaves no sign that it was ever used. Surprise benefit is that I now have very good engine braking, which was non-existant before.

- used an oil additive to help break down sludge, hopefully helping out the piston rings. I used Auto-RX, but there are several on the market that probably work just as well.

- use a gas additive, Techron, every month or so.

- low mileage truck is driven by wife, mostly around town. So, I started using it more and drive it like I stole it (kinda). I make sure to give it a few high rpm accelerations every time I am out. We also did 2 extended road trips this summer, totaling 7,500 miles.

- started changing the oil/filter myself as I am now unsure of the quality of those quick change places. I just use a quality, name brand 5w-30 conventional oil.

- and the last item, just 10 days in is an oil/air separator cannister. I used the Moroso setup for this truck (setup was very easy, and I am only a backyard wrench) rather than use the cheap ones on ebay. This billet unit has a built in filter to separate the oil (the vid on their website sold me http://www.moroso.com). Just checked it this morning (300 miles in) and a nice bit came out. I just had a paper towel underneath and it soaked it pretty good. I have a camping trip next week, so I am interested to see what happens there with towing the trailer again. I will be ready with a cup next time to measure it.

So, I think the catch can is helping prevent the motor from ingesting the oil spray/vapor from the PCV (mine still has the original baffle cover). I think this will have lots of benefit to the motor long term, keep crud out of the intake manifold, but also help keep crud out of the valves and cylinders.

I am not expecting to completely solve the oil consumption, but rather looking to manage it so I can get a few more years out of the truck (we love the Yuk!). I will be thrilled if the catch can will continue to collect this oil and keep it from being ingested into the intake manifold.

Just thought I would share my findings as I know now that this is a common issue with the 5.3 AFM, am interested in thoughts and other experiences with this.

Last edited:

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, man. I'm interested in doing anything I can to decrease oil consumption and the Range unit is on the list. I bet the AFM delete contributed big time to your decease in consumption.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
Which model can did you get from Moroso?
In the future I'll be removing all DOD/AFM parts. That's the only way to eliminate it from my research. If not the lifters will eventually fail.

OP
OP
V

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the Moroso can I am using ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K964KM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have read lots of posts here about this can versus others on the market (I guess everyone has a favorite), but so far I am impressed. Build quality is great, everything you need is in the box, and it mounts cleanly to the alternator (mount and bolt is included). Ok, I did add a washer :)

We leave for a camping trip tomorrow towing my 7000lb trailer so I will be watching for how much crud that pushes through the canister, as that is when I typically go through oil faster.

I will try to remember to take a couple of pics when I drain it.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
Which model can did you get from Moroso?
In the future I'll be removing all DOD/AFM parts. That's the only way to eliminate it from my research. If not the lifters will eventually fail.

I always wondered about the lifters and figured they'd eventually become a failure point. Have you seen anything around about typical mileage at time of lifter failure? I'm at about 150,000 right now and I know that's not that high of mileage for most well maintained modern engines nowadays, but with the AFM set up on these engines I often wonder how long it'll last compared to the same motor with the AFM disabled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K964KM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have read lots of posts here about this can versus others on the market (I guess everyone has a favorite), but so far I am impressed. Build quality is great, everything you need is in the box, and it mounts cleanly to the alternator (mount and bolt is included). Ok, I did add a washer :)

We leave for a camping trip tomorrow towing my 7000lb trailer so I will be watching for how much crud that pushes through the canister, as that is when I typically go through oil faster.

Holy hell, man! That's a very nice catch can, but when I add mine I plan on spending about a third of that. Lol. It may not be a fancy billet piece, but it will perform the same function just as well.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much. That is the one I was looking at and will be the one I order. Yes, everyone has there favorites. That Moroso is mine ;)

Good luck on your trip. Lookin forward to your updates and photos.

I always wondered about the lifters and figured they'd eventually become a failure point. Have you seen anything around about typical mileage at time of lifter failure? I'm at about 150,000 right now and I know that's not that high of mileage for most well maintained modern engines nowadays, but with the AFM set up on these engines I often wonder how long it'll last compared to the same motor with the AFM disabled.

Holy hell, man! That's a very nice catch can, but when I add mine I plan on spending about a third of that. Lol. It may not be a fancy billet piece, but it will perform the same function just as well.

All the info I have acquired is from the forums, no personal experience. I cant imagine any is false info. From what I have gathered from the forums, I have read about brand new vehicles having failures on up to people never having a problem at all with 150+k miles. Its kind of a crap shoot.
I'm at or just around 165k miles and have had no issues. It was disabled in Dec 13. I will remove it completely, eventually.

Hah, that is a nice catch can. One of the nicer ones available, funny thing is, its not the most expensive. But, it is the most complete kit.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. That is the one I was looking at and will be the one I order. Yes, everyone has there favorites. That Moroso is mine ;)

Good luck on your trip. Lookin forward to your updates and photos.

All the info I have acquired is from the forums, no personal experience. I cant imagine any is false info. From what I have gathered from the forums, I have read about brand new vehicles having failures on up to people never having a problem at all with 150+k miles. Its kind of a crap shoot.
I'm at or just around 165k miles and have had no issues. It was disabled in Dec 13. I will remove it completely, eventually.

Hah, that is a nice catch can. One of the nicer ones available, funny thing is, its not the most expensive. But, it is the most complete kit.

Exactly as I figured. :( Thanks for the info...

OP
OP
V

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick update that we just towed the 200 miles to the campground with no issues. Towing my trailer is where the truck would guzzle oil. Now, sitting at 700 miles since last change, oil level is still full which is great.

Also, the truck performed great. This is my first time towing with the range delete and throttle response is much better. And I may be just imagining this but it feels stronger. I am hoping that oil is no longer being ingested via the pcv and that the motor is gradually burning off the crud.

Just for reference, here is what I am towing, so it's not just a little trailer.
6A44624B-6590-44C5-945C-FD4F51C8E8EB.jpg

Here is how things looked about 2 hours in to the drive. Note the temp gauge is rock solid at the normal mark. Low 80's outside temp, and the truck used to run hotter than this. Maybe another side benefit, I don't know.
FF691591-0DDC-44D7-A016-7BC8FE180C06.jpg

I will wait til I get back for a better update as that should be about the 1000 mile mark, and will check the catch can then. But I should have gone through the better part of a full quart by now, so I am starting to feel good about it.

Last edited:

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is awesome, man! My truck would've burned through half of its total oil capacity during that tow! Lol. Just kidding, but towing is also when mine is the worst. Even under normal driving circumstances, it goes through considerable amounts of oil which really pisses me off. As soon as I get my Range unit I'm gonna install it, change my oil, run 3k miles, then run a bottle of motor flush through the engine immediately before the next oil change, add a nice catch can set up, and then start monitoring the benefits of having the ****** AFM disabled. Congrats on the incredible progress you've made so far with your truck! Hopefully I'll see the same results as you and many others have seen! Quick question, though. Your truck is also a 5.3L, right?

OP
OP
V

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is the 5.3, and I am hoping to get a lot more miles out of it. They are great trucks.

I hope you have similar luck with yours. The only concern I'd have is if the truck is a higher mileage unit, will that make a difference.

I do think that multiple approaches are necessary to reduce consumption. In my simple mind, I am assuming that AFM causes the rings to start getting sticky and allows oil to get past and into the cylinder, but also that blowby is increased resulting in the higher oil spray and vapors through the pcv. So, stopping the AFM, trying to unstick the rings (if that is even possible without a ring job), catching the excess vapors, and cleaning the intake, valves and cylinders with a few detergents should help consumption and longevity. At least that is my approach to this!

So far, I am stoked with the progress so far!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157