Halo retrofit! All you need to know, parts, supplies, instructions, and pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I spent this afternoon retrofitting my OEM headlights and DRL housings with Halos. It was not that bad. Tough at times, but definitely worth it. This mod assumes you've already done the Full Time DRL mod as found in this thread otherwise your halos will only work while your DRL's are on.

Tools:
-wire strippers
-electrical tape
-flat screwdriver
-heatgun (optional)
-oven
-pliers
-trusty knife (Benchmade for life haha)

Materials:
-Quick-set epoxy
-Superglue
-Silicone sealer adhesive
-16-20 gauge stranded wire (preferably red & black insulated)

Purchases:
-2 of these in 80mm for your bright housings (color of choice)
-2 of these in 60mm for DRL's (Color of choice)
-4 of these 2 x 80mm and 2 x 60mm
-4 of these
-4 of these
-8 of these (come as pairs)
-2 of these

4SOj9aP.jpg

this link has pictures and instuctions for the more advanced/experienced members. Noobs stay tuned for the same pics, but in depth instructions.

Instructions:

1. Unplug and remove all your headlight housings and DRL housings. If you don't know how to do this, stop now as you are in way over your head.
AfVxmVq.jpg

2. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Soak a piece of cardboard in water. Then place your Halos in the diffusers how you want them and use a couple small drops of superglue to keep them in place. The more you push them into the diffusers, the more you will see individual LEDs. For example, by blues are just set inside the diffusers, and my ambers are pushed pretty far in their. you can see the difference in the completed photos. You can test them out and play around with how the different depths look by using a 9V battery to temporarily power your halos up.
KR1RLaV.jpg

GC7YP9w.jpg

3. Place the first light fixture on the cardboard and bake for 10 mins. (use gloves) take out of oven and start to try to pry apart using the flat screwdriver. If its not giving, bake for 3 more mins at a time until you get results. (its tough and takes time) once apart, use the screwdriver to remove old ahesive from lens and fixture as best you can. (pain in the ass)
SYqQWXv.jpg

My newer light housing came apart much easier
VWFff1u.jpg

ZnJnRgw.jpg

dnAwh1o.jpg

HsR4lVF.jpg

4. Mount LED halos. Be sure to mount them facing the exact same direction as the bulbs, otherwise your halos will look crooked. Be sure to cut a slot for your wires otherwise they will be pinched by your bulbs and break the circuit. I messed this up and had to tear apart a headlight and re-solder a connection and remount a halo and everything because i F**ked this up the first time on one side.
TbhXgPO.jpg

1y6phgN.jpg

4QeyP0H.jpg

9cbXTe0.jpg

5. Dinner
Vu7J5M0.jpg

ycYvNdm.jpg

6. Wire Harnesses. The black connector side will go to your headlight halos, the red connector side will tap you DRL circuit, and the bottom loose wires will power your DRL halos.
PvdwJDb.jpg

7. Tap your DRL circuit using the T-connectors. Note the polarity of you wires
KzyVaNz.jpg

8. Connect your harness
nDpq6Ky.jpg

9. Solder/tape your connectors on to your Halos noting and marking polarity the whole time.
rKlMV3l.jpg

10. Connect and replace everything.
4RGcNRi.jpg

11. ENJOY
gbCe0GG.jpg

Last edited:

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Killer Job! IPA to boot - I effing love IPA's

Another place to buy high quality gear (you may know already) is The Retrofit Source (dot com) Ive done a lot of Bad A$$ True HID Projector mods for people

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Killer Job! IPA to boot - I effing love IPA's

Another place to buy high quality gear (you may know already) is The Retrofit Source (dot com) Ive done a lot of Bad A$$ True HID Projector mods for people
Have not checked them out yet. Might need to if and when I want to do HIDs. Gotta get my swaybar sorted out first though haha. I picked up a Moog endlink today but had some issues installing it. Almost seemed like the threaded shaft was a little too short. Anyway, I'm thinking about doing quick disconnect links like edzaar suggested

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via Tapatalk for Android

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not checked them out yet. Might need to if and when I want to do HIDs. Gotta get my swaybar sorted out first though haha. I picked up a Moog endlink today but had some issues installing it. Almost seemed like the threaded shaft was a little too short. Anyway, I'm thinking about doing quick disconnect links like edzaar suggested

Cool

Last edited:

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing this to my tahoe but I have a brush guard, would that get in the way of the halos and make them look worse?

OP
OP
owl_93

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing this to my tahoe but I have a brush guard, would that get in the way of the halos and make them look worse?
I responded to you on the other thread. Basically I don't think it would look bad either way but it'd help to see your guard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925