Driving ~6400kms for christmas, Anything mechanically I should worry about?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Wife informed me that we are going to Newfyland for Christmas for two weeks to spend time with her family. That's great, two weeks at the inlaws. There's a reason they are called goofy newfy's...Something about 'kiss the cod', 'screeched in', and 'jig's dinner'? My first time going...sigh...and with my wife, two 9yr old boys, and two dogs....sigh...

It kinda sucks because it means no more modding my Yuk until I get back and pay for Christmas, etc... This trip is not cheap....And do I really want to kiss a cod, or eat the cod's eye? Remember wikipedia says a Cod is a fish....

It's about ~6400kms(3976 miles) roundtrip from where I am.

Here's what I've already done to prep. Did I miss anything? Are there mechanical things that are prone to breaking on long trips?
- Garmin windshield mount GPS
- program 2m radio for newfy repeaters. (safety)
- put on four TigerPaw snow tires (already installed)
- change oil before I leave, and when I get back.
- installed 120v LED Blue Christmas lights to roof rack(non-flashing).
- installed two airplane landing lights(Maslack Supply Special) in the front grill in front of rads, triggered to come on high beam.
- installed two roof rack soft cargo carriers.
- installed hitch mount cargo carrier.
- safety kit w/includes;
+ roadside flares
+ one bottle each of the normal fluids.. ie brake, power steering, transmission oil, motor oil, washer fluid
+ Towing chains
+ Tire chains
+ Fire Extquinisher
+ two jerry cans of fuel
+ small CDN Tire tool kit
+ small 12v air compressor
- Bell mobile internet stick and Acer One Netbook for acces to road/weather reports, and to play movies for the boys on route.
- 12 extra hours to reach the ferry in case of road closure, accident, breakdown, etc.
- I'll have our Grumpy old guy Mechanic at our auto garage take a look at the truck to make sure it's safe again, and grease things again.

Anything that I am missing?
This is the first trip that I've taken the Yuk on for more than 8hours on the new motor. I'd rather spend money and take precautions than sit on the side of the highway.

Thanks!

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its just below or right above 3,000 miles. (3000 miles to graceland = best movie ever)

take along with you a knife for cutting puroposes, and some block patches, some liquid steel, if something in your hood cracks, say goodbye to newfyland (where is that btw) or if you develop a crack in the heater core than goodluck lol

i didnt see the miles lol its 3976 miles, like LA to NY

Last edited:

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
It seems to me you got more than enough for a safe trip. I did a 4000 mile round trip back in August and didn't have half the stuff you're taking along. I think the only thing we had that you have listed is the GPS and the hitch mount cargo basket to carry the backpacks. haha The only other thing I can think of is lots of blankets and warm clothes in case you get stranded in no where Canada.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its just below or right above 3,000 miles. (3000 miles to graceland = best movie ever)

take along with you a knife for cutting puroposes, and some block patches, some liquid steel, if something in your hood cracks, say goodbye to newfyland (where is that btw) or if you develop a crack in the heater core than goodluck lol

Haha Sorry, It's actually Newfoundland Canada, but we just call it newfyland...

It's in the top right corner of our country, allegedly it's the closest North America land mass to Europe?

It's an island, and it's far, far away donkey....

Sorry, kids watching too much Shrek...

So what's Liquid steel? Like JBWeld or something?
Ooohh, knife and blocks are good, come-along might be usefull too!

we call it the people living there goofy newfys because in 08, I flew my wife and kids out there for the summer... right, the plane coming back was over 16hours late... Why? Because the person who runs the refueling truck ran into the wing of the scheduled plane, and they had to wait for a replacement plane from Alberta! HAHAHAHAHA Only in newfyland does a refueler hit the plane!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

It seems to me you got more than enough for a safe trip. I did a 4000 mile round trip back in August and didn't have half the stuff you're taking along. I think the only thing we had that you have listed is the GPS and the hitch mount cargo basket to carry the backpacks. haha The only other thing I can think of is lots of blankets and warm clothes in case you get stranded in no where Canada.

yup, check...

I swear my wife is bringing every comforter and pillow we have...
I'm glad that someone gets to sleep on this trip. It's about 24hours to the ferry, where she graciously will let me sleep for 8 hours, then drive another 12 hours to get to her parents house.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel for ya man, pack blankets, back up battery,etc, you never know if you were to break down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968