2002 Yukon fuel pump toast? Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
I changed fuel filter just in case.
No one rents or loans a fuel pressure gauge here- must be some insurance thing.
There is some pressure there with KOEO. I bought a cheap pressure gauge and it doesn’t move the needle. Fuel pressure too weak? ****** cheap gauge? There is pass thru with the pressure relief knob.
Ok so the fuel gauge does work. I put it up to my tire stem and it moved freely. That doesn’t mean it is accurate of course. BUT it does mean the fuel pressure is too low to move the needle.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
Ok I need y’all’s best psychic insight here because the truck is no longer running and I’m guessing now.
So here is the sequence:
1) the truck was running fine for a few weeks but the gas gauge was wonky. At idle the fuel gage would jump around from empty to full. When it said empty the low fuel light would come on too.
2) I tried the Chevron Techron thing which seemed to help a bit. I was planning deeper surgery when time allowed like a new fuel pump.
3) This morning after running an errand it started acting like it was starved for fuel and died in a store parking lot. I had it towed. It is not low on gas, but won’t start.
4) while still running (roughly) I was getting these codes and the bank 2 one.
5) I’m guessing the fuel pump? Intake manifolds seem intact.
6) Your insights please?

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
anybody out there?
Okay what we know.
1) fuel filter changed
2) relays ok
3) all grounds cleaned (only lower connection on fuel pump ground)
4) KOEO fuel in rail but to weak to get a reading.

Next step is cut out a hatch and check upper fuel wiring? It’s the only way for me to adequately get to it as I have a form of MS and I’m not going to try and drop the tank. The hatch is doable.

Thoughts?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not judging, but personally I would have someone else (friend or shop) drop the tank so I could avoid doing the a "hatch & patch." But your truck, your choice.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
Not judging, but personally I would have someone else (friend or shop) drop the tank so I could avoid doing the a "hatch & patch." But your truck, your choice.
I get that and if I had a choice, believe me I would.

catalinajack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I need y’all’s best psychic insight here because the truck is no longer running and I’m guessing now.
So here is the sequence:
1) the truck was running fine for a few weeks but the gas gauge was wonky. At idle the fuel gage would jump around from empty to full. When it said empty the low fuel light would come on too.
2) I tried the Chevron Techron thing which seemed to help a bit. I was planning deeper surgery when time allowed like a new fuel pump.
3) This morning after running an errand it started acting like it was starved for fuel and died in a store parking lot. I had it towed. It is not low on gas, but won’t start.
6) Your insights please?
I just went through this with my 99 Tahoe. Vehicle quit while underway. Replaced the pump and now all is well. These pumps don't last forever.

OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
I’m right there. ACDelco on order. Hatch cut and ready. A bit of a PITA as I chose to cut it outside the spot welds thinking the underlying structure I can screw back into and have a solid closure.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kgitti

Kgitti

Reaction score
So here is the sequence:
6) Your insights please?
So it was the fuel pump. I went the hatch method cutting beyond the spot (drilled them out) welds, a harder way to go but safer in the long run, so I could come back and put short self tapping screw back in for strength-but short so they would not reach anything vital.
I also redid all the grounds, changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter and the ABS brake module while I was under there. This fixed the wonky fuel gauge issues too.
A huge PITA all told, but well worth it in money saved and results.
Thanks for the help as always.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.png
    IMG_0807.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    736.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0839.jpeg