Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah House

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali with 85,000 miles and just had a notification pop up on dash about low oil. Oil Life Gauge has me at 38% life remainging still. Checked the dip-stick and was bone dry. Any thoughts on why this could be burning almost 40% oil? Put 2 quarts in it to get me by until next week when I go to Dealership but trying to figure out a solution.

15burban

Reaction score
Did you do the last oil change or at least check to make sure whoever did it filled it up to the full mark? If not it's hard to tell how much it actually used.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Yeah, first you need to figure out if it’s using oil, or if the last guys who changed your oil didn’t put enough in. Otherwise, a mechanic will have a tough time diagnosing.

Last edited:

Antonm

Reaction score
I've got a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali with 85,000 miles and just had a notification pop up on dash about low oil. Oil Life Gauge has me at 38% life remainging still. Checked the dip-stick and was bone dry. Any thoughts on why this could be burning almost 40% oil? Put 2 quarts in it to get me by until next week when I go to Dealership but trying to figure out a solution.

What do you mean by “burning almost 40% oil “?

You do understand that the oil life remaining is how long until your next scheduled oil change and has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of oil that’s actually in the engine right?

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What weight oil are you using? My oil consumption issues stopped when I switched to Amsoil and went up to a 0w-30 weight oil.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know that hardly anyone does this anymore, but you really should pull the dipstick and check the oil level at every fill up.

The “oil life monitor” which is the % oil life sensor in the instrument cluster only tells you the computer calculated life remaining in the oil. It’s based on a ton of research by engineers at GM, and algorithmically counts down from 100% based on the number of engine revolutions, with some de-rating for engine temperature, number of cold starts, driving conditions, etc. It has shown to be pretty accurate by used oil analysis performed by many.

But, that piece of tech assumes you start with a full crankcase of fresh oil when reset to 100%, and that you keep the crankcase properly filled with oil. The best way to do this is following the oil check procedure in the owners manual. Basically: pull the dipstick occasionally and check.

In every vehicle I’ve ever owned, I check it the day I buy it, then at every fill up, and after every oil change. I’ve had a couple of my vehicles overfilled or under filled by the service tech..and corrected on the spot. Checking at every fill up gives you:
- Confidence you are not low on oil
- Indication of how your specific engine is behaving
- And over time, if you know you consume 0.5qt every 5000 miles, also an indication when something is changing, if all of a sudden it’s 1qt every 2500

TLDR: don’t be a dipstick, use the dipstick!

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience in operating the Yukon Denali 2022 shows the following relationship. If we take the 0 mark as an oil change. Then, when driving quietly around the city, the oil begins to burn after 8-9 thousand kilometers. or 5-5.5 thousand miles. Further consumption is approximately 0.5 liters for every 1000 kilometers or 600 miles. If you drive fast on the highway. (150-170 Kilometers per hour, or 90-110 miles per hour) then the first 3000 kilometers (1800 miles) the oil does not burn. and then the consumption of the same 0.5 liters per 1000 kilometers (600 miles) begins. These are two extremes. in any mode between these two options, oil degradation will be between 3000 and 9000 kilometers. And then always 0.5 liters per 1000 km..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willb

Latest posts