4x4 noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westcoast49er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never had a 4x4 before so I'm not familiar with them. 4x4 works fine, but I hear a "grinding" type noise when its on. Can't really call it grinding, but maybe the parts are not as lubed as it should be or old oil. Btw, its a 2001 Yukon xl. Any thoughts?

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grinding, no. Maybe a whirring sound when the whole 4wd drivetrain is spinning.

Sorry to have to ask, but you aren't running 4WD on dry pavement, correct? You'd be surprised at how many people don't know you can't do that. Doing that will cause your 4WD system to bind up and is really bad for it.

On a new to you vehicle the best bet is to have all the fluids changed out, diffs and transfer case especially since you don't know if/when it was last done. I believe on the GMs it's every 50K miles for servicing. Check which fluids you need, on my 02 Trailblazer it required special fluid in the transfer case which was a dealer only item. Some use regular trans fluid, but check which one you require.

Oh, and use the A4WD sparinging, the auto 4WD spins the whole 4WD drivetrain, the only difference is the front axles aren't engaged at the front differential. Running around all the time in A4WD seems to make things wear out faster (and it'll cost you about 1MPG) on the Trailblazers and I believe the Tahoes/Yukons use the same A4WD setup.

OP
OP
westcoast49er

westcoast49er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Grinding, no. Maybe a whirring sound when the whole 4wd drivetrain is spinning.

Sorry to have to ask, but you aren't running 4WD on dry pavement, correct? You'd be surprised at how many people don't know you can't do that. Doing that will cause your 4WD system to bind up and is really bad for it.

On a new to you vehicle the best bet is to have all the fluids changed out, diffs and transfer case especially since you don't know if/when it was last done. I believe on the GMs it's every 50K miles for servicing. Check which fluids you need, on my 02 Trailblazer it required special fluid in the transfer case which was a dealer only item. Some use regular trans fluid, but check which one you require.

Oh, and use the A4WD sparinging, the auto 4WD spins the whole 4WD drivetrain, the only difference is the front axles aren't engaged at the front differential. Running around all the time in A4WD seems to make things wear out faster (and it'll cost you about 1MPG) on the Trailblazers and I believe the Tahoes/Yukons use the same A4WD setup.

Ya, more like whirring sound is right. I don't use 4hi at all(especially not dry pavement), but I did take out here on the 4x4 trails at big bear lake and only when it got a bit rough, using the 2wd and the g80 was fine most of the way. Ya, i'll take your advice and change the transfer case fluids. Anything else needs to be lubed on the 4x4 system besides that(cvs)? Thanks for the help btw.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that you have grease fittings for the ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.

I miss my G80. My Trailblazer didn't have it when I purchased it but I had one transplanted into it. Made quite a difference on the trails.

I'm curious how my Escalade will do in the winter and if I can find any trails to take it onto. It doesn't have a G80, it's an open differential but supposed to work really well with the active braking system (supposedly) to keep the slip down. I guess I'll find out this winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omastylie75