Bought core block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure you know this, but when you torque the main cap bolts to the first torque pass, you are supposed to smack the crankshaft back and then forward a few times each with a dead blow hammer (to seat the thrust bearings). Then proceeded with the final torque-to-angle specs.

Then you should check the crankshaft endplay for specs. A cheap HF magnetic base and dual indicator is best, but I've seen guys use feeler gauges to measure the gap between the thrust bearings and machined surface on the crank.
No I did not know this but thanks. Once I get my hands on some 30w engine oil i'll start the torque sequence I was hoping that assembly lube would work for the bolts the price of oil here is 7 bucks a quart

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I did not know this but thanks. Once I get my hands on some 30w engine oil i'll start the torque sequence I was hoping that assembly lube would work for the bolts the price of oil here is 7 bucks a quart
Here's my adventure on my recent rebuild. I encourage you to see the PDF reference on post #18. Although different displacement, the overall specs should still apply to your engine.

I hope this helps.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question on the cylinder hone finish. Seems lately I'm not seeing the usual crosshatch pattern. Looking at this refurbed block the cylinder finish seems to be more circular? Is this a new practice? Is this something for the new thinner ring packages? I'd worry some about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukk