Dead again…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: service rep called today and said they replaced battery and everything is functioning as should. Tech drove home last night and back again this am w/no issues. They’re keeping it for the weekend and will retest everything on Monday.
One question is that they claim to have tested battery the first time the rig crapped out and it wasn’t a problem. This time, same issues but now it’s the battery??
Sounds good. If I took your car home I'd have my voltage meter attached to battery and pasted to windshield so that I can definitively say that alternator isn't dropping out.

Sometimes the voltage regulator starts to fail randomly and you won't know unless you see it since checking it may show 14+volts but dropping down intermittently.

Then again I think I had 3 comebacks in 10+years so what do I know.

Good luck man.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If something is going wonky and throwing a lot of light/codes and everything else was working fine, the battery is always a good place to start. Load test it and know quickly and correctly that this is or is not a 1st issue. All vehicles today are highly susceptible to low voltage issues and battery is where to start...

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The modern cars go nuts with a weak battery. Have experienced this myself twice. A loose battery to starter connection is another common issue. Then grounds being loose and arching. Bottom line a battery or loose connection on any battery wire or ground will wreak havoc. All an easy fix if they look instead of reading codes.

Samson518

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, they send telemetry overnight, typically around times when temps are low, especially here in the mid Atlantic. These batteries may be sized relatively small for all the electronics and size of motor (6.2). I put ours on a tender about once every 4 to 6 weeks for several hours. When ours drop voltage, the retract steering column starts to make a clicking sound. Easiest way to detect low voltage issue coming on. Goes on battery tender for several hours. (We have a new battery from the dealer as of a few months ago.)

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
Got it back this evening. Let’s hope the new battery solves the problem. Love driving this thing when it’s working but I can’t have my wife or 16 year old daughter driving something that’s going to strand them somewhere.

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
Well it died again today, this time fortunately in front of my house. Same **** - no crank but a series of error messages scrolling across the center on the dash screen. This is the third time. are they going to fight me on replacing?

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
Hi. I have different diagnostic issues with my 22 Tahoe but I’ve only just finished my second service call (bear in mind the two service calls too my Tahoe out of service for 3 months!). Try opening a case with BBB National Auto Program (https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline). I opened a case a received a call from GM before I even uploaded all of my documentation to BBB. GM wanted to know how I would like to resolve my issue. They are calling me back on Monday and I will post an update under my other thread.

The speed of GMs call leads me to believe that they know there is a problem with some of these Tahoes and are trying to control the issue . . . Let’s see what they say on the callback though. Good luck,

mckdeezle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I have different diagnostic issues with my 22 Tahoe but I’ve only just finished my second service call (bear in mind the two service calls too my Tahoe out of service for 3 months!). Try opening a case with BBB National Auto Program (https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline). I opened a case a received a call from GM before I even uploaded all of my documentation to BBB. GM wanted to know how I would like to resolve my issue. They are calling me back on Monday and I will post an update under my other thread.

The speed of GMs call leads me to believe that they know there is a problem with some of these Tahoes and are trying to control the issue . . . Let’s see what they say on the callback though. Good luck,
I was hoping you could advise how and what you provided to GM for a case. This is all new to me but I wasn't expecting a new vehicle to havr so many check engine lights (on # 3 so far). My warranty will be expiring soon, too. If it's easiest to email, I can shoot you a message! I just want to make sure I have everything properly document in case I have something legitimate with my Tahoe. I appreciate your time/help!

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
I was hoping you could advise how and what you provided to GM for a case. This is all new to me but I wasn't expecting a new vehicle to havr so many check engine lights (on # 3 so far). My warranty will be expiring soon, too. If it's easiest to email, I can shoot you a message! I just want to make sure I have everything properly document in case I have something legitimate with my Tahoe. I appreciate your time/help!
Sure thing and glad to help -

I took photos of the dashboard when the diagnostic messages came up, I took screen shots of the automated messgaes from GM that warend of urgent diagnostic issues. I provided them with a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (that was shared on this forum) that was supposed to recitify the issue but it did not. Invoices from the dealer showing the amount of time it was in the shop and copies of every email and chat message with GM regarding the issue.

Like I suggested in one of my other posts - open a case with BBB Auto Line (https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline) it sure seems to get teh attention of GM!

It's great having my Tahoe back but I'm lacking confidence in it and worried that it will act up again at some inopportune time. I think that feeling will pass with time.

I'm also concerned that the amount of time it spend in the shop will be a red flag on a CarFax (or other) report if I decide to sell it.

Please let me know if you need anything else,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton

Latest posts