Engine and gearbox swap from four speed to six or eight speed on 2008 Z71 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ain't broke!

Though I really like the 6l80...
I don't see the point of a 10speed. we have a new Ford truck at work with one, and honestly it's kinda annoying. it's always doing something.
4 letter F word, that's your problem..

Just kidding, I'll bet it has a driver side grab handle at least..

I've always wondered if too many speeds might feel like that..
If the programming is good, and it sounds like people like it...

Anybody driven both the 6 & 10 can comparo?

buckwild27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All of my trucks have the 6 speed and I drive the hell out of them. I did test drive a 10 speed truck and it was smooth as buter on hot breakfast toast.

buckwild27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally want to do the L8T and 10 speed swap on my 2014 Sierra. But if I'm being honest I've never had a lick of issues with the 6 speeds. The one in my 2013 Sierra got a deeper pan and tuned to the point where the tow haul button does nothing. I ran it hard for the 240,000 miles I drove it. Either trying to break land speed records on the highways, rally racing it on back roads or pulling a 28' trailer at 70-75mph. Still works perfectly, the truck looks like something out of a mad max movie. But I parked it because I bought the 2014 Sierra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhinson