Hellwig adjustable rear bar- got it on this afternoon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the 1-1/8" rear sway bar off my Denali and replaced with a 1-1/4" adjustable Hellwig bar. Even though both are hollow, the Hellwig must use a much thicker wall material because even though it's only 1/8" bigger, it weighs twice as much.

According to Hellwig, the softest position is 25% stiffer, then 35%, and 45% at the stiffest.

So do all GMT900's have a rear sway bar, or is there a market for my old bar?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ^^^^^

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Not much. Try CL, or just keep it till you sell the truck, then sell the Helwig. Definitely a market for that.

OP
OP
T

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to try it out today. For the past several days I've been hauling around the Fikse wheels for my race car and didn't want them flying around in the back as I tossed the Denali into turns.

Anyway, had to drive to Indiana this morning and took a few of my favorite fly-over ramps at speed. Much much nicer! Still pushes a bit in the lower speed turns (<40) but still much better, and it actually responds to steering inputs while in a turn. Then there's my favorite high speed 2 lane ramp that's posted at 40 and I usually take at 60 or so. Took it today at just under 70 and it was a piece of cake. Still a lot of body lean and a bit of understeer, but far more neutral that stock.

Other than the fact that on some road surfaces that are rippled or bumpy the ride is a bit rougher, I'm extremely happy. Might even try the middle of the three positions to see if stiffening the rear makes it even better. But want to hook up the race trailer and see if the Denali tracks better in crosswinds that it did stock, that was the main reason I made the change. The trailer could push the back of the Denali around with the sloppy stock suspension and the movement of the sidewalls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82