Bi-Color LED Switchback Turn Signal DRLs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly you want the bulbs to be amber all the time instead of white like mine are? Then when the turn signal is engaged it simply blinks amber off amber off?

You might be able to get away with the same setup and possibly even easier. For my setup you have to wire in a new bulb socket (3-wire and same socket type as the parking light) at the DRL so you can have the dual color change. You may still have I do this for your setup. Also I know you'll need resistors still since they will still be blinking. Not too sure about the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I want to retain full DRL/signal capability with all four bulbs (same as your truck), but with solid amber.

The V3 Tritons actually come with a controller pack for each bulb similar in size to an HID ballast, with a built in load resistor and fuse...not sure if additional resistors would be needed beyond that but I would imagine not. As long as the wiring is configured to allow both functions to work as per the diagram, I might be able to skip the additional resistors.

Last edited:

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrofits are going in today! I'll try to take some pics during and after install.

Hopefully will have time to put in the pioneer 8500bhs 7" screen and all the damn wiring harnesses needed to retain all oem functions. Gonna be a a PITA!!

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

ejydagyh.jpguby2uvys.jpg

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that took longer than anticipated. Thought I had a bad bulb but it seems it just needed to get broken in a bit. Definitely need to do some tweaking but looks damn good especially with the leds in front.
5ysy2a2y.jpg
be4umeju.jpg
uju8yquh.jpg

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks fantastic! Great job.

Question: to get the housings out, do you have to pull the front bumper cover off? I had a headlight go out the other day, and after loosening the three 10mm bolts on the housings and the ones on the upper grille, I could barely get my hand in there far enough to reach the lowbeams and DRL bulbs (swapped the DRL's out for amber 4157 incan's until I get the V3 LEDs), let along reach the signal bulbs or the rest of the harness. What gives?

Also, VLED's just came out with Amber/Amber V3 switchbacks! Perfect timing for my project! They are supposed to be stupid bright...over 400 lumens in DRL mode. Pretty slick.

Last edited:

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

I've taken the bumper off any time I removed my headlights. I'm not sure if can be done without removing it.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured, thanks. Theres too much crap in the way to pull them out otherwise.

One of the only things I miss about NBS headlights. Two L-pins and you're done, no other bolts or bumper removal lol.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definitely a pain in the ass. I found that there is a small bracket inside the wheel well that has two screws. If you take this off it is much easier to get the headlights out without damaging the paint. You can also remove the airbox on the passenger side and the rubber liner behind the headlight to get to it. The drivers side is a bit harder due to battery and windshield fluid.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone use V3s to swap out the front Turn/DRL? Thinking about doing this while they have the 25% off sale going on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88