New 2024 Yukon - long term rust prevention and rubber conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

torch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 Tahoe died of rust here in New England.
I'm just taking delivery of a new 2024 Yukon, and I'm wondering what on the under-body to paint/cover/grease/silicone to minimize repair headaches 10 - 15 years out.
I'm thinking of painting bare metal, steel cooling lines, parts of the exhaust
Spray Silicone on rubber CV bellows, a-arm bushings, .....
lumps of grease on brake bleeders, any nuts that might need to come off in the future, spare tire mechanisms, and slight grease around wheel lugs and hubs.
paint or dielectric grease on exposed ground connections

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get some fluid film, or woolwax, (both available on Amazon). 1 to 2 gallons will do the whole truck. Buy the professional application gun with different nozzles ans hoses to reach rockers, doors, fenders, etc. Set aside a whole day if this is your first rodeo to scope out the correct access points.

I generally look for weep holes that allow easy passage, or remove body plugs as needed to gain access. If you take your time, warm up the fluid film in a pan on the stove so it's like thin oil, you will get a nice coating on your vehicle and self....

Once coated, you'll want to touch up yearly on areas that have washed off from washing or road spray. BYPASS the automatic washes and undercarriage washes at all costs - they usually spray salt water in areas it would never get to.

There are a lot of good threads here on this, just search some key words. I've done this process for over 10 years on numerous vehicles with excellent success. When I sell them after many miles of midwest driving, they still look almost new and don't have any body or frame rust. Any paint or rubberized coating will give the guise of protection, but ultimately fail and it won't be noticeable at first.

TCOLL5830

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just get some fluid film, or woolwax, (both available on Amazon). 1 to 2 gallons will do the whole truck. Buy the professional application gun with different nozzles ans hoses to reach rockers, doors, fenders, etc. Set aside a whole day if this is your first rodeo to scope out the correct access points.

I generally look for weep holes that allow easy passage, or remove body plugs as needed to gain access. If you take your time, warm up the fluid film in a pan on the stove so it's like thin oil, you will get a nice coating on your vehicle and self....

Once coated, you'll want to touch up yearly on areas that have washed off from washing or road spray. BYPASS the automatic washes and undercarriage washes at all costs - they usually spray salt water in areas it would never get to.

There are a lot of good threads here on this, just search some key words. I've done this process for over 10 years on numerous vehicles with excellent success. When I sell them after many miles of midwest driving, they still look almost new and don't have any body or frame rust. Any paint or rubberized coating will give the guise of protection, but ultimately fail and it won't be noticeable at first.
Why would car washes spray salt water anywhere in their process ?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are required to recycle a portion of the water used. It's in that. Salt doesn't settle out like sand or other solids. You then get recycled rinse water blown up under your vehicle that most likely has dissolved salt and other corrosive road chemicals in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOC1583