Operation: Border Patrol Tahoe '07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my project. I purchased a government vehicle at a decent price, not knowing it was a border patrol vehicle. It has been a fun project before class starts back but I think I have run into some problems I need help with. I have purchased a repair manual and studied the body diagrams but since I'm a noob to this, I cannot figure how to attach the front bumper other than the 6 bolts on top and anchored into the side. There is no way to secure it on the bottom and it seems very flimsy. Is there an extra bracket on the bottom where it is secured on a regular vehicle? Heres a few pics of the bp tahoe and mine

Attachments

• cnpca12565-vi.jpg
    cnpca12565-vi.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 3217521880_0670cc68eb.jpg
    3217521880_0670cc68eb.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20110816_162555.jpg
    IMG_20110816_162555.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20110816_162536.jpg
    IMG_20110816_162536.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
let me add by saying the skid plates are still there. If the bumper was sectioned off like the second pic, it would look just like that. The dealer just slapped on a bumper and sent it on its way

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bumper is different than yours so I'm not sure as to all the attachment points ... usually there's the bolts on top, the bolts under the fenders, and the wheel well clips.

I'm noticing the dealer didn't install the lower valance along with the bumper cover ... I'm wondering if he cheaped out or if there's a reason associated with the existing skid plate. :think:

OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My bumper is different than yours so I'm not sure as to all the attachment points ... usually there's the bolts on top, the bolts under the fenders, and the wheel well clips.

I'm noticing the dealer didn't install the lower valance along with the bumper cover ... I'm wondering if he cheaped out or if there's a reason associated with the existing skid plate. :think:

Yeah, I was going to get a valance replacement but I am afraid to since the bumper may rip off anyway. There are no bolts under the fenders, just the six on top and the bolts that go through the fender well. I just installed those fog lights and I just decided to take the whole bumper off and do it since it was much easier than working from underneath haha. When I took it apart it looked like there was once screws or a retainer of some sort that went through the bumper into the bumper support. This diagram is confusing while just looking at my vehicle.

Attachments

• 050803TC07-900.jpg
    050803TC07-900.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 42

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have to worry about the bumper cover coming off, those bolts at the top hold up very well. I'm thinking you must have the wheel well bolts, they're the ones that attach at the very ends of the cover, without them the sides of the bumper would sag and the bumper would start pointing up.

As far as the lower valance, if it fits with skid plate there then go ahead and attach it if you want ... it weighs next to nothing and won't add any additional stress.

saxart

Reaction score
I'm confused... How can a dealer sell someone a "border patrol" vehicle without first disclosing that to the buyer? This has SCAM written all over it. I'd be PISSED if I bought a used vehicle from a dealer only to later find out that it was a former BORDER-PATROL rig. (Like, "brick through the dealership window" pissed!) Ha, ha..... ;-)

Anyway...

I was just underneath the front of my 2011 Suburban removing the lower front valence (#18 in your diagram) and can confirm that there are small bolts with a 7mm head that hold the bottom of the bumper skin to a black plastic/fiberglass type of subassembly which resides behind the bumper on the bottom edge. (I think it may be #25 in your diagram?)

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
[/URL]
I'm confused... How can a dealer sell someone a "border patrol" vehicle without first disclosing that to the buyer? This has SCAM written all over it. I'd be PISSED if I bought a used vehicle from a dealer only to later find out that it was a former BORDER-PATROL rig. (Like, "brick through the dealership window" pissed!) Ha, ha..... ;-)

Anyway...

I was just underneath the front of my 2011 Suburban removing the lower front valence (#18 in your diagram) and can confirm that there are small bolts with a 7mm head that hold the bottom of the bumper skin to a black plastic/fiberglass type of subassembly which resides behind the bumper on the bottom edge. (I think it may be #25 in your diagram?)

Hope this helps...

Yeah I wasn't happy to find out. It was just advertised as a government vehicle, here is the dealers site: http://www.asiamotorsinc.com/ . I bought after seeing it online (mistake), so I was unable to examine it completely. Rolled the dice and came up empty, lesson learned. 25 appears to be the Styrofoam piece, based on price and resemblance. Here is the full website if anyone else is curious

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/URL]

Yeah I wasn't happy to find out. It was just advertised as a government vehicle, here is the dealers site: http://www.asiamotorsinc.com/ . I bought after seeing it online (mistake), so I was unable to examine it completely. Rolled the dice and came up empty, lesson learned. 25 appears to be the Styrofoam piece, based on price and resemblance. Here is the full website if anyone else is curious

It does say above the Website Logo "The Home of Used Police Cars"...

OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No doubt it does, I don't want it to sound like I didn't know it was a government vehicle. Like I said originally, I purchased a government vehicle, but they could not tell me where it was from. I am not playing the victim here, I am just stating it was a surprise. I would rather have been surprised and found 10k hidden in the panels instead lol

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt it does, I don't want it to sound like I didn't know it was a government vehicle. Like I said originally, I purchased a government vehicle, but they could not tell me where it was from. I am not playing the victim here, I am just stating it was a surprise. I would rather have been surprised and found 10k hidden in the panels instead lol

Haha yeah I got ya.

Meanwhile, there is a NBS 2500HD Suburban 4WD LIFTED with the 8.1L on there...wish I had $12k to burn! Ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terrence Crowell

Latest posts