Recommendations on roof rack cross bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CriticalThinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the factory cross-rails from a seller on eBay and paid less than the dealer/mfgr price. I love them. They're very strong and quiet and they're easy to put on and remove (as well as lockable). I put a Thule carrier on them and drove over 3000 miles, never had any wind noise, etc.

CDONNS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went the Amazon route and have had no complaints, the bars, attachment and innards are all metal and work great. $199 all in

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
I have another GM vehicle and while it is not cross bars, it gives you tie downs.
Purchased stainless "U" bolts at the home improvement store. They come with nuts and a strip of metal between the 2 legs. I think the size I used was 1/4 inch. The size is determined by the slot in your roof rails. I made a second cross strip and purchased additional stainless nuts.
I loaded the assembly in this order... nut, cross strip, second cross strip, and nut.
the last nut is positioned at the end of the "U" bolt.
Remove the end of the roof rail and slide the "U" bolt assembly into the slot.
you want one cross bar on the inside and the other on the outside.
Slide the "U" bolt to the desired location and tighten the nuts on the outside and that locks
the "U" bolt in place. This does not give you a cross bar but now you have tie downs

I can't really picture in my mind what your saying? Could you please post of a picture of this setup? While I can't use a direct tie down method on the Tahoe (has the panoramic sunroof, most of the roof is glass, I ain't putting nothing directly on that) it might be helpful for another SUV we own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired_One