Replaced OEM 175 Amp Fuse w/ 200 Amp Circuit Breaker **NEED HELP**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOCALIGUY81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Hey guys! Just signed up on this forum, but some of you may have read my sticky at http://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2007-tahoe-add-amp-21865/

I joined this site in hopes of getting an answer to a strange problem I'm having. First off, here is what I'm working with:
2009 Tahoe 5.3L 2WD
Dual Yellow Top Optimas
Pro Mariner ProIso250-1 Digital Isolator
OEM Alternator DR44 160 Amp
200 Amp Stinger Circuit Breaker

My issue is that usually when at idle, after driving for about 2 minutes after starting it up, it will trip the 200 amp circuit breaker and render my vehicle as useless as a Bait Car. This breaker is in line between the accessory battery and the main OEM electrical/fuse system. I have disconnected any other accessories to narrow it down, but I'm still baffled as to why it seemingly randomly trips. Any suggestions???

To save time, here is what I've eliminated as potential causes:
Overloading Of Circuit (draw)
Heat
Vibration/Loose Wiring
This is the 2nd breaker, so I doubt it's a bad breaker. The first was a generic 250 Amp and it too would trip, but less than the Stinger 200 Amp.

I'm thinking the alternator is going bad or is under too much stress with 2 batteries. The dealer said there were no codes associated with the electrical system. The other possibility is that the ProIso250-1 is malfunctioning, yet it shouldn't be able to create any extra power than what the alternator gives it.

Am I crazy? Or is giving a 200 amp breaker over 200 amps the only way to trip it? If so, how would a 160 amp peak alternator create over 250 amps at idle?

Here are some pictures for you to get an idea of what's going on here...

IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg
IMG_2064.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone will chime in and help you. What do you have that requires so much electrical? Have you done the Big 3?

OP
OP
SOCALIGUY81

SOCALIGUY81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I FIGURED IT OUT!:party36: Thanks to some help from the tech gurus at AAMP of America. OK, so check this out. There are a total of 6 things that can cause a magnetic circuit breaker to trip:
1. Excessive Heat - Not related since it happened no matter the temp.
2. Over Amperage - Not related since I have an OEM DR44 145 Amp Alternator.
3. Over Voltage - Not related for the same reason as above.
4. Short Circuit/Grounded - Not related because resetting was immediately available and there were no shorts.
5. Tripping the switch with your finger.. duh.
And the one that eluded me...
6. Reverse Current - Since breakers are sensitive to current flowing in the wrong direction, even a small amount of draw in the wrong direction across the breaker will cause it to trip. Basically, when the digital isolator would open up to charge both batteries, the starter battery would pull just slightly on the other battery causing a brief moment of reverse current.

Now, with this little hiccup out of the way, I'll install the DC Power 220 Amp SPX alternator in the next couple weeks. Anyone care to make an offer on a 2009 Tahoe LT DR44 Alternator with 50k miles in perfect condition?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I will keep this in mind since I will also be using a breaker on my build.
What type of subs/amps do you have that needs so much electrical upgrades?

SBCT

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the solution. Good info to know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mikey42_69

Reaction score
Great write up on your sub TAP. I have been looking for something like that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgregory4614