Thinking about buying a used 13' Cadillac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
Whelp, I finally went and took the thing on a test drive today. It was a lot nicer online. For one all the engine brackets, alternator ect. anything not painted looked like metal corrosion. Some paint was failing on outside driver and driver side rear passenger doors around windows. That wasn't a deal breaker. But after a few minutes driving a "service suspension" warning came on the dash. The owner claimed he never saw that before. Also at about 62ish mph it definitely had a vibration. Not really throughout steering wheel. Maybe wheel hub or? Also driver headlamp was holding about 1 inch of water.

Anyways after all that I offered 16k. He said he will think about it. So guess we shall see. Honestly my wife hated it but I know alot of that is small stuff. Still think 20k is just too much. This is not the one.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pass if the paint is failing. It will get real bad real quick and the only way to fix it is to take it down to bare metal, which is a massive amount of labor. Hardly anywhere will do a complete paint job any more. It cost me $5k to get the hood and roof taken to bare metal and repainted, the front fenders blended, and a new front bumper painted (which I installed myself). Don’t do it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Service suspension is likely why he’s selling it. Give him a call and remind him the dealer has quoted $500+ for each z95, $300 for a new suspension control module, $500 for a new compressor. Tell him the dealer will charge $2k in labor to diagnose & install. Remind him that’s probably just the beginning based on the ride @ 60 mph. Someone else will likely find more you weren’t aware of.

Also verify if he’s already added Non Mag Ride shocks that’s caused the suspension lDTC to come on.

In all, new z95 are $300 ea, control mod is $75 off eBay, compressor is $300 & labor is free or $5h max at an Indi. Shocks & comp are lifetime guaranteed.

I’ll shoot you the link to the vehicle service contract shopping tool & to a broker later today. Paint in one area is a fix all over is a walk away due to the sheer size & mass of the truck.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
Service suspension is likely why he’s selling it. Give him a call and remind him the dealer has quoted $500+ for each z95, $300 for a new suspension control module, $500 for a new compressor. Tell him the dealer will charge $2k in labor to diagnose & install. Remind him that’s probably just the beginning based on the ride @ 60 mph. Someone else will likely find more you weren’t aware of.

Also verify if he’s already added Non Mag Ride shocks that’s caused the suspension lDTC to come on.

In all, new z95 are $300 ea, control mod is $75 off eBay, compressor is $300 & labor is free or $5h max at an Indi. Shocks & comp are lifetime guaranteed.

I’ll shoot you the link to the vehicle service contract shopping tool & to a broker later today. Paint in one area is a fix all over is a walk away due to the sheer size & mass of the truck.
He said that he replaced the front shocks but didn't know what kind. He also said he recently replaced the compressor but didn't touch the rear bags. As far as the paint it looked mostly like clear coat failure, but on closer inspection there was scratches in in the area too.

Honestly the paint alone was enough to make it not worthwhile to me. I think he is really trying to re-coop that 8k he just sank into it at the stealership. I get it but I'm not going to be the one. I bought my current 06' YukonDenali in 2016 for 16k with 60k on the clock and it has been great. Those deals are long gone.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Clear coat exploding means walk. Dealt w/ that on our 08 YXL Denali. Black paint was super thin. $750 to repaint the hood, $1.2k to repaint & blend the roof 1/3 of the way down.

The cure was selling the 08 and buying an 09 for $1.2k more with GM tricoat paint. 4 years later, no regrets.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said that he replaced the front shocks but didn't know what kind. He also said he recently replaced the compressor but didn't touch the rear bags. As far as the paint it looked mostly like clear coat failure, but on closer inspection there was scratches in in the area too.

Honestly the paint alone was enough to make it not worthwhile to me. I think he is really trying to re-coop that 8k he just sank into it at the stealership. I get it but I'm not going to be the one. I bought my current 06' YukonDenali in 2016 for 16k with 60k on the clock and it has been great. Those deals are long gone.

Clear coat failure looks like scratches to a lot of people. It is a much bigger deal than it sounds, you have to sand it down to bare metal to get through everything bad or it’ll just fail again. Wrapping it is a cheaper option but not really once the doors fail.

BacDoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Based on your test drive and the latest comments from the “seller” I think you should walk! Some stuff is understandable for the mileage but the paint issues, corrosion and the fact that the seller didn’t know what kind of shocks were replaced along with your statement “it looked better online” is too many red flags! Someone who takes care of their gear/truck always knows what brand of shocks they replaced. Most “good” buys always look better in person and the test ride should make you smile! Or at least feel good about spending the dough!

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
Based on your test drive and the latest comments from the “seller” I think you should walk! Some stuff is understandable for the mileage but the paint issues, corrosion and the fact that the seller didn’t know what kind of shocks were replaced along with your statement “it looked better online” is too many red flags! Someone who takes care of their gear/truck always knows what brand of shocks they replaced. Most “good” buys always look better in person and the test ride should make you smile! Or at least feel good about spending the dough!
I agree 100% Bac that's why this is a pass!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58