Towing a trailer with automatic leveling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up to 2014 the 6L80E's don't have that thermostat valve.. So you are good there.
The main thing is to keep it in tow/haul mode.
And if you can, get a TUNE ... The torque converter setting stock is what kills these converters
along with just being too weak of course

D01R6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1000006881.jpgour suburban with auto leveling air ride. Pump runs before we pull out, then looks like this, vehicle is running. So question is why the squat? Max weight of camper is 3500. This should not squat one bit, but there it is. No cargo 250 lbs worth of children in 2nd row. 2013 suburban LTZ

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 429421our suburban with auto leveling air ride. Pump runs before we pull out, then looks like this, vehicle is running. So question is why the squat? Max weight of camper is 3500. This should not squat one bit, but there it is. No cargo 250 lbs worth of children in 2nd row. 2013 suburban LTZ

there's will. know better, but I'd personally hook. up a scanner and see what the pressure in the air bags are doing.

my guess is they aren't holding air and the pump isn't coming on to try and refill.

Tim907356

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation: 2010 Yukon XL Denali. I've been pulling a 4100# Travel Trailer for 6yrs. or so, and traded for a 6400# T.T., with a ~700# tongue weight. We drove it home for 2hrs. yesterday with the rear suspension waaaaay-low. The load leveling springs were undoubtedly too loose, but I don't think the shocks pumped up much either, although the compressor tried. It looked like the pic. from D01R6, above.
My thought was to add aftermarket air bags, but with the auto-leveling system, it seems redundant, and maybe just a heavy duty set of load leveing shocks would do? Any advice is welcome!!!

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation: 2010 Yukon XL Denali. I've been pulling a 4100# Travel Trailer for 6yrs. or so, and traded for a 6400# T.T., with a ~700# tongue weight. We drove it home for 2hrs. yesterday with the rear suspension waaaaay-low. The load leveling springs were undoubtedly too loose, but I don't think the shocks pumped up much either, although the compressor tried. It looked like the pic. from D01R6, above.
My thought was to add aftermarket air bags, but with the auto-leveling system, it seems redundant, and maybe just a heavy duty set of load leveing shocks would do? Any advice is welcome!!!

my advice is to check the air pressure in the stock bags to make sure they are working and/or if you're way past max psi and still sagging badly.

if your air bags are holding pressure and pump is able to get them up to the 120-140psi range, that's about as high as you really want to go for long term use. it might be time to look into the weight distribution hitch stuff. I personally don't haven't got into thst yet, but tons of info and guys here that have done and it and have it all sorted out.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 5300lb (650lb tonque) 7 x 14 cargo -> camper with my 2021 Yukon Denali. The trailer has weight front/back but not so much in middle so much so it's not 'the best' for stability.

Without WDH it get's a little squirrely at 60mph+. With WDH it's rock solid.

I don't have air, just magnetic ride.

Without WDH the rear goes down 2" and front up 1" - it's visible in the pic.
1717657783346.png

With WDH the rear goes down 1" and front up 1/2". Since rear is slightly higher than then front in normal mode, it looks more level.
1717657908581.png

With WDH and you're tongue weight, I wouldn't worry :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82