Looking to squeeze more Mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas mileage and Tahoes go together Like a peanut butter and A-1 sauce sandwich . it will never happen.

Your best bet is to take out a small interest loan from a credit union or from a reputable bank . If thats affordable to you. Take off insurance on the truck and park it . I know it sucks but its the only way .

Another thing to consider is these trucks will be around for a long time your education however is priority . If it were me and It really came down to the wire Id have to part with it .

have you considered online classes instead? saving gas or car pooling with another guy to cut the costs of gas? as stated as well if you love your truck that much quit smoking / coffee ect… if you do any of those .

I wish you the best of luck

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 80 miles a day with my LIMITED, and with gas cheapest @ $3.69... I stopped eating 2 keep her... Literally stopped eating... I drink lots o coffee, water and take a ridiculous amount of vitamins... But MPG on the highway is topped out at 17...

TheBlueBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit 20 a few times the first year I had it, but I was more or less trying to hyper-mile in the thing (draft when possible, exremely light on the go pedal, things like that). Not really that doable long term. On the highway, I can still get 18, but I never go above 65...which can get annoying, but it's about the only way to even get that. Most of mydriving though is pretty short trips (16 - 20 miles a day) so I'm averaging closer to 13 - 14 with the city type driving.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's never gong to be a mileage champ as others said. Here are my toughs and some of these will cost $ that you wll never get back in fuel savings.

Drive below 70 mph. Once that tach gets over 2000 rpms your mpgs go away.
Areodynamics and engine speed are two main kllers of fuel economy.

Get ridof the 285s. Aero and frictional drag.

If you have non factory wheel diameters find a 17" aluminum wheel or a hybrid 18" forged wheel for weight savings. Heavy wheels kill around town mpgs.

Electric radiator fans. Adds 10 hp and reduces parasitic drag.

Remove roof rack, body moldings, fender flares,vent shades and bug deflector. My non scientific trip mpg says I gained .25 mpg. Who knows.

Pump tire pressures up like you said.

Don't use cruise control in hilly areas. Lose speed on hills, don't let converter unlock in 4th and definitely don't let it kickdown into 3rd or 2 nd.

Z71 front lower air dam.

Black bear tune?

CAI.

Non ethanol gas (expensive)

Remove spare tire and both third row seats.

THe biggest thing I can recommend is keep your speed down to 65 mph or less.t Hat doesn't cost anything but time, and You will probably see 23 mpg flash on the instant DIC.

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can cut a hole in the floor pan and make it a hybrid foot powered vehicle in traffic.

OP
OP
McFizzl

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
Id cummins swap it if I could afford it...and to be honest I could afford it with the money im gonna spend on a car. But im not sure im ready for the problems that come with custom work like that. I just got 94 miles out of 1/4 tank so I guess my mileage is coming back. for a week there i was only getting half that.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Figure out the mileage instead of guessing how many gallons you're using.

OP
OP
McFizzl

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
my random misfire CEL is back again so my mileage may go to hell again. someday im gonna pull all the plugs. I have no idea what causes it but i just have to suck it up and deal with it because no mechanic can find it either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvain_Yukon