Yukon 5.3L to 6.0L Mod & Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPopilek

Reaction score
I posted on here a couple of months ago in regards to some mods that I wanted to make to my truck. As a refresher, I have a 2008 Yukon SLT with the 5.3L. After talking to my buddy, who is a retired GM mechanic, we have decided to change my initial plan. So, in turn have a few more questions that I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

I have access to an entire drivetrain from a 2001 Chevy 2500 for free that I will be using instead of modding my existing 5.3L/4L60 setup. This way, we can build up the new motor and then just do an engine/transmission swap. The Chevy has a 6.0L engine, with a 4L80E transmission. The transfer case is dead in this truck, but the one in mine is rock solid. Now for the questions…

Regarding the engine, we are going to freshen up the block, and might go with new pistons and rods, or just piston rings. Depends on how everything looks when we pull it apart. I have a brand new set of LS3 heads that I just received in the mail yesterday for the motor, so that part is taken care of. For the intake though, I’m not sure if there is a good way to figure out the best one to use. Should we use the stock 6.0L intake, the one that is on my 5.3L, I also have a good Delco one with a part number of 12597600, or do I go aftermarket? As for other upgrades, I still plan on using as much from my previous list as possible. Does any of this need to changed for a better alternative or removed all together? These parts include:
  • Chevrolet Performance Hydraulic Roller Lifters (16)
  • LS7 Lifter Guides (4)
  • Chevrolet Performance Camshaft Retainer Plate
  • Chevrolet Performance Engine Valley Cover
  • GM Gen IV VVT Cam Phaser Limiter Kit
  • Comp Cams XFI™ 267PHR14
  • Chevrolet Performance High Volume Oil Pump
  • Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set
  • COMP Cams High Performance Valve Spring Kit
  • GM LS OE Rocker Arm Trunnion
  • Cloyes Replacement Timing Chain
  • Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket
  • Summit Racing® Main Bearings
  • Clevite H-Series Rod Bearings (8)
  • Summit Racing® Thermostat
  • ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kit
  • Engine Tune
Regarding the transmission, I know that I am going to need a wire harness adapter. I was also reading that I needed a thinner mounting plate to mate it up to my transfer current case. Would the drivetrain on the 2500 have the correct mounting plate, or will I still need to get one? Is there anything else that I need to be aware of before attempting all of this? I’d love to just have it built, drop it in, and add a tune and go. I’m new to doing engine mods/rebuilds like this. I’ve done plenty of other engine swaps and partial fully stock rebuilds over the years, but nothing this in-depth. Like I said, I’m working with a retired GM master mechanic, so we have all the tools and his know how. So I’m looking for any advice you can offer. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevakasper