04 Yukon XL SLT Can't find AC leak after collision with Deer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpaceBaller01

Reaction score
About a month back I hit a deer while driving back home (ironically while test driving my e-brake repair). Thankfully it was a small one and it only dented the bumper and ruined the grill (which I happened to have another on hand I was going to replace anyways). However until that point the ac worked perfectly fine. But after that I know it leaked out due to hissing noise with a smell I knew I didn't want to anywhere near. It stopped the following morning.

I've been trying the past few weeks to find the leak. Nothing behind the grille appears to have any damage, including the Condensor. The lines appear to be fine. I've tried injecting AC dye into the system and running it, but I have yet to find any sign of the leak. Not sure it even circulated. Checked with a manifold gauge, found zero pressure in the system. Neither front nor rear AC work, blows ambient air only.

What else could I do? Only other thing I can think of is put refrigerant in (knowing it'll leak out pretty quickly, takes a ton of it as it is w/rear ac). Or guess that the evaporator is bad and replace it and the drier.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a month back I hit a deer while driving back home (ironically while test driving my e-brake repair). Thankfully it was a small one and it only dented the bumper and ruined the grill (which I happened to have another on hand I was going to replace anyways). However until that point the ac worked perfectly fine. But after that I know it leaked out due to hissing noise with a smell I knew I didn't want to anywhere near. It stopped the following morning.

I've been trying the past few weeks to find the leak. Nothing behind the grille appears to have any damage, including the Condensor. The lines appear to be fine. I've tried injecting AC dye into the system and running it, but I have yet to find any sign of the leak. Not sure it even circulated. Checked with a manifold gauge, found zero pressure in the system. Neither front nor rear AC work, blows ambient air only.

What else could I do? Only other thing I can think of is put refrigerant in (knowing it'll leak out pretty quickly, takes a ton of it as it is w/rear ac). Or guess that the evaporator is bad and replace it and the drier.
Just add a small amount of refrigerant, 1/2 can or so may be enough to find a small leak. Have a spray bottle of soapy water to spray on every thing. The bubbles will show the leak.

Chevymec

Reaction score
If it leaked out that quick, you should be able to see signs of oil. If you injected dye into the system, did you add freon afterwards? The compressor won't cut on if there isnt any freon in the system.

OP
OP
S

SpaceBaller01

Reaction score
If it leaked out that quick, you should be able to see signs of oil. If you injected dye into the system, did you add freon afterwards? The compressor won't cut on if there isnt any freon in the system.
That was the thing. I didn't add any freon, just UV dye. I didn't want to waste the stuff if I didn't have to. I was finally able to attempt to add some in yesterday though. numerous Autozone rental tool issues :p Compressor didn't cut on, but the leak did show up this time, it was pooling under the condensor.

OP
OP
S

SpaceBaller01

Reaction score
I'm placing my order for the parts now. I'm including seals, shrader valve, condensor, drier, and PAG oil.
Is there anything else I ought to replace while the system has no freon?
Also PAG 150 or 46 oil? So far what I've seen I should use 150, not sure of the compressor make. assuming original.
It did cool perfectly fine before the collision front and rear, no signs of compressor issues AFAIK. Miles at 232k if that matters.

OP
OP
S

SpaceBaller01

Reaction score
Just add a small amount of refrigerant, 1/2 can or so may be enough to find a small leak. Have a spray bottle of soapy water to spray on every thing. The bubbles will show the leak.
Pretty much worked, albeit the stuff I used had dye in it (ollies had a nice sale at $9 per can w/UV). it was pooled under the condensor, off to the left, which made sense as that's where the deer hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knot on call