1999 Tahoe brake lights staying on - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Grimace

Grimace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally got the switch out and discovered 2 wires disconnected from the plug. I'm going to try and splice them together, but if that doesn't work, is there a part number out there for that piece with both plugs on each end? I've found a few with just the connector to the switch, but nothing with the plug on the other end.

OP
OP
Grimace

Grimace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well...back to square 1. I replaced the 6 wire plug (the 2 green wires were disconnected from the plug), matched all the colors to the original, got everything put back into place, now I have no brake lights at all. Confirmed all fuses are still good after hooking the battery back up. I'm at a loss now. I was really hoping the 2 broken wires were going to solve the issue... back to troubleshooting I guess. Thank you all for the suggestions and videos on how to replace the switch. I don't think I could have figured that out on my own without your help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well...back to square 1. I replaced the 6 wire plug (the 2 green wires were disconnected from the plug), matched all the colors to the original, got everything put back into place, now I have no brake lights at all. Confirmed all fuses are still good after hooking the battery back up. I'm at a loss now. I was really hoping the 2 broken wires were going to solve the issue... back to troubleshooting I guess. Thank you all for the suggestions and videos on how to replace the switch. I don't think I could have figured that out on my own without your help.
Remember, the brake light circuitry goes thru the turn signal switch, so that the turn signals work when brakes lights are lit up.

OP
OP
Grimace

Grimace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remember, the brake light circuitry goes thru the turn signal switch, so that the turn signals work when brakes lights are lit up.
After extensive tracing, the issue was the turn signal switch. Replaced the entire assembly and everything works again. Thank you all for your assistance in tracking down this issue! Time to replace the door hinge pins now...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After extensive tracing, the issue was the turn signal switch. Replaced the entire assembly and everything works again. Thank you all for your assistance in tracking down this issue! Time to replace the door hinge pins now...
If you think that the brake light switch was a pain, research the door hinge pins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23