2000 door speaker crossover??? plz read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2000 Chevy Tahoe, non bose w/sub, front doors stock it has 6.5 mid and a tweeter on seperate wires, Is the fatory amp sending a differnt signal to the woofer vs, the tweeter???

I am installing new speakers in my front doors, do i need to install a crossover too? i hooked it all up with out a crossover and noticed that the fatory tweeter has a little crossover/resister on it.

so my question is are both wires for the tweeter and the woofer the same signal???????
i bought a JBL component set with a crossover, i just didn't want to have a crossover on a crossover is all,

Plz respond to this question asap, I got the driver side done and want to do the passanger side today.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to run the new speakers off the factory amp? Staying with the factory headunit?

The factory amp should have separate wiring for each speaker whereas the aftermarket speaker will have it's own crossover, I recommend using the aftermarket crossover.

OP
OP
K

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a after market head unit running though the factory amp. than in the door there is two seprate wires, one for the 6.5 and one for the tweeter,
I am trying to figure out what signal is coming though each set of wires.
what set should i hook my aftermarket crossover up to? if I hook the crossover up to the woofer wire i mite not get the high notes if it was already crossed over from the amp.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I would bypass the factory amp.

OP
OP
K

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One step at a time, I started with the head unit, than front door speakers, than rear door speakers, than i wanna get a differnt amp

OP
OP
K

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hooked my component speakers up in the stock location, with the stock wires, no crossover, sounds super crisp and clean, and gets fairly loud with no distortion. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365