2000 Tahoe audio problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talstone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 2000 Chevy Tahoe that I inherited. I'm having two problems with the stereo that I don't know where to start to fix. I have the factory stereo which I don't hate and don't really have the money to change out just yet.

1. There doesn't seem to be any bass in the vehicle. The factory stereo has preset EQ settings but they don't help the matter. I can turn the bass all the way up and it is minimal at best. I don't want a system that is thumping but I would expect it to be as good as the 1997 Dodge Stratus I had before this vehicle. Anyone experienced this problem? If so, what can I do about it?

2. My second problem is that I have an iPod Classic that I connected to my Stratus via a cassette tape adapter. When I put the cassette adapter I had for the Stratus in and the tape deck (separate from the radio) spit it out. I swapped adapters with a buddy and his worked but I can't hear the vocals. I was getting the message to clean it ("CLN") and finally found a tape deck cleaner at RadioShack but that didn't do anything. The vocals on any song are pretty much stripped off. I love music but I'm not wanting Karaoke in the Tahoe. I've checked the settings on the iPod but that doesn't do anything to help the situation.

I would appreciate any help you guys could offer. I've got to have my music. I love the Tahoe and need it to love my music.

Thanks

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
sounds like the tape player is shot. get an fm adaptor. it will work just as well. for the speakers first i would check to see if aftermarket speaker have been installed . if so one could be wired backwards. if not check the surrounds on the factory speakers. if they are anything like mine were they are rotted off and gone. check your factry sub too. some hoes have it some dont. the surround was rotted off my sub also.

OP
OP
T

Talstone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forgive me for being ignorant on this stuff, but when you say check the surround on the speakers – what are you talking about specifically? Is it hard to get to the speakers? I'd like to do all this myself if I can. Just don't want to screw up the truck. Thanks for your help.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not put this in the proper year forum section (for your vehicle)? This is the '07+ forum. You'll probably get more responses in the proper forum.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Forgive me for being ignorant on this stuff, but when you say check the surround on the speakers – what are you talking about specifically? Is it hard to get to the speakers? I'd like to do all this myself if I can. Just don't want to screw up the truck. Thanks for your help.

He is talking about the woofers. If you have a sub woofer is is located in the rear of the vehicle on the driver side.

I have had some speaker just go to hell after a few years, some cost me 400 dollars a pair. You would think it would last longer than 3 years but I guess not.

If the woofers are rotted then you will need to replace them.

Here is a very good set at a very good price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?tp=105

YOu can do an FM transmitter for your ipod, or just simply replace the deck. This is a good one and has an aux output for your ipod. where all you do is hook up a wire from your head phone jack to the aux output and use it as you would normally.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT240/Sony-CDX-GT240.html?tp=5684

So worst case you have to replace the HU and the front and rear speakers.

These are easy swaps that you can do your self, crutchfield is very good about providing good instructions, and if you need live help their customer service is top notch.

Worst case price is 230-250 bucks if you do it your self. Best case is a wiring mess up that could also be fixed by your self and were here to help as well. :Handshake: