2004 Tahoe Front Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,
Joined here because you seem to know your stuff. I bought a 2004 Tahoe in October. It is a great vehicle. Going to be wonderful for the family. I have a problem with the front differential though. Truck has the 5.3L with the part time 4WD system. (Auto, 2h,4h,4l). In 2WD the truck is very quiet. Putting the truck in Auto4WD causes a whurring sound like mud tires. 4H also is loud.

I took the differential out and had it rebuilt by a shop who works with axles and bearings. I put it back in the truck and it sounded worse than before. Now even 2WD was loud! I was given the bearings that were taken out during the repair. Only one of them showed much wear. Everything else looked good.

I took the truck in this time so they could hear it. He said they forgot to tighten the pinion nut and he did this and said all was well. The truck is now quiet again in 2WD but it is still louder than I think it should be in 4WD. It seems to quiet down when coasting. Loud at almost all speeds above 20-25 or so. Everything seems to work fine, but I just spent over $500 and it doesn't sound much better than it did before the repair.

What else could cause this? Maybe the driveshaft is out of balance? Do the transfer cases fail on these?

I want to keep the truck, but I don't want to keep putting money into something that can't be fixed.

We have a 2500hd gasser here at work and I know they use the 9.25" diff, but if I shift it into 4wd while moving there is absolutely no difference in road noise, tone, pitch, etc. I know noise is not normal, but I am not rich and don't feel like spending more money to fix something that is not broken.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian