2004 tahoe whining not serpentine belt tensioner or idler pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent Mitchell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced the tensioner, idle pulley and serpentine belt and the squeal persists. high pitched whine like power steering belts of old but no wear present on the replaced belt. What should I check next?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the tensioner, idle pulley and serpentine belt and the squeal persists. high pitched whine like power steering belts of old but no wear present on the replaced belt. What should I check next?
Did you check and or change the ac belt or tensioner?
it's pretty typical for the ac tensioner to be noisy, particularly on a cold start int he morning.
a easy way to check would be to simply pull the belt off and let it dangle, just stick a ratchet drive in the center hole of the tensioner pulley and twist to release tension.

OP
OP
V

Vincent Mitchell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced both tensioners and idler pully and belts. There is atill a high pitched whine that goes away if I rev it a little but comes back at idle. At this point I think I need to localize the sound. The components on upper belt are Water pump, Alternator, Power steering pump. Lower belt is AC. At least I think that's what it looks like.

@strutaeng,

I wasn't sure If i could just try removing the belt to isolate which one has the noisy bearing. Is that safe?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced both tensioners and idler pully and belts. There is atill a high pitched whine that goes away if I rev it a little but comes back at idle. At this point I think I need to localize the sound. The components on upper belt are Water pump, Alternator, Power steering pump. Lower belt is AC. At least I think that's what it looks like.

@strutaeng,

I wasn't sure If i could just try removing the belt to isolate which one has the noisy bearing. Is that safe?
Sure. Just idle it briefly and keep an eye on temperature because your fan, water pump, etc. obviously won't be working. May be better with a helper on the cab watching while you are listening in the engine bay.