2011 Escalade 127k / Code P0300 and ticking like a loud clock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rl1856

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

2011 Escalade 6.2 L 127k miles, verified by the book maintenance since new, Full Synthetic oil every 6k miles.

I am the 2nd owner and purchased the truck in Dec 2022.

My daily commute is generally abt 3 miles each way, though the trip on Friday was abt 15 miles.

Friday morning I experienced slightly rough idle, sluggish acceleration and what felt like transmission slippage. I received a CEL and check stabiltrak warning.

Friday afternoon, I heard a loud ticking / flapping noise from the engine. I opened the hood and the noise seemed to come from the upper part of the engine on the driver’s side. I took my truck to a local shop for a diagnostic check and was told they pulled the following codes:

P0300 **Lifter fault message in the system
P0455

I was directed to go to the dealer for a more detailed diagnosis.

Everything I have found indicates I have a failed AFM Lifter, which requires the top of the engine to be rebuilt, and is a known design flaw.

Vehicle will be towed to a dealer today or tomorrow and I would prefer not to arrive uninformed. What are other possible causes ranging from best to worst case ?

Interesting aside: I called several GM dealers and asked for quote for engine diagnostic service after describing what I already knew regarding codes and ticking. Dealer quotes ranged from $165 - $205. I also asked for their labor rates, and rates/hr were the same as the diagnostic charge. Does this service take about 1hr or so ? My thought process is if I have to have the work performed by the dealer, at least use the one with the lowest labor rate ! However I will also consider good independent shops in my area.

Thank you !

Ross

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in, as this is a relatively common occurrence.