4x4 shifting to neutral?? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velo99et

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I have a 96 4x4 4dr. Just recently I started getting some odd noises when going over bumps and things. And now when I put the truck in reverse, while in 2HI, and start to move the transfer case shifter throws itself into neutral? I've checked and adjusted the linkage, mounts are in good shape, and nothing really seems out of sorts? Any help would be fantastic!! Please and thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Velo99et

Velo99et

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure what's the easiest way to find out?

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Model #241 C or G can't make out which
Assembly # 1573 3768
Serial # 4 24 96
Ratio # 272

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push button or floor shift?
I would say your transfer needs rebuilt.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I have one more question didn't think of before.
Is the shifter in the correct spot? Like in 2wd is the shifter itself in the same place it always has been?
Don't think it's your issue though. Thinking in 4hi, or 4 low if it's off it the shifter can reach it max moveable space. (hit's the hole in the body it goes through) shifts, but not fully so will pop out.
Although 2hi being in the (middle) even if it was off, should stay in gear.

OP
OP
Velo99et

Velo99et

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea it's in the right spot. I checked by disconnecting the linkage, then pulled the shifter to 4 Lo, then reconnected. My mechanic helped me so it's not that. But I did read somewhere that inside the tail shaft extension there is a snap ring that can break causing everything to kinda slide back and forth that may be causing this problem? Any thoughts?

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something of what I am thinking.
Never had one apart though, always replaced them, or just seals.
Think your going to have to pull it apart to find it, and go from their.
Maybe see how much a junkyard one cost, and throw it in. Either leave it or fix yours, reinstall and have the junkyard to get by if it breaks, or sell the junkyard after you fix yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925