6.2 ls3 GM performance crate engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody replaced there vvt / dod 6.2 with a GM performance 6.2 /la3 430hp , I have a 2011 Yukon Denali and the #4 lifter let go and lock up the motor , I would like to replace it with the GM performance crate motor but the service guy at the deal told me I would need a controller added to it and that I would be better off to replace it with a stock 6.2 vvt/dod remanufactured 6.2 plug and go , opinions and advice on this subject is very much appreciated I was looking at the 6.2 long block summit racing has for a decent price and I don’t mind getting a tune for it but a new controller hmmm I’m thinking he’s trying to up sale me , thanks for any advice

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone else asked about this a while back. I don't remember if they ended up doing it or not.

you will atleast need to tune your stock ECM to run without the afm/vvt. which you'll probably want to delete anyways before putting any engine back in.

I feel like I'd send black bear a email and ask them.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6.2L ecm is a 6.2L ecm.
Since an L94 is not an LS3, your ecm will need a tune, not only to deactivate VVT & Engine Half@$$,
but for all the other cool stuff too.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked into this earlier in the year for my 07, and I was told by GM Crate Engines, Summit Racing and Texas Speed that the electronics differences between my generation and the latest crate engines would be a bridge too far to make the conversion. Is it possible? Well, anything is possible, if you throw enough money at it, but it was not recommended by all 3 of these vendors.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6.2L ecm is a 6.2L ecm.
Since an L94 is not an LS3, your ecm will need a tune, not only to deactivate VVT & Engine Half@$$,
but for all the other cool stuff too.

OK. yes, many different ecm's can run a 6.2 or any other ls, as long as the crank sensor wheel is the correct tooth.

I was meaning more like you can't drop a non afm/vvt engine into a truck that came stock with it, and then run it off same tune in that ecm without adjustments.

again. once you've deleted a 6.2 of its afm/vvt isn't it just a ls3 at that point? that's why I said talk to someone that tunes them.

the only electrical stuff I can think of would be the need for the cam sensor adapter harness, same one the delete guys use. make make sure the injectors are the correct size in the tune, deactivate afm and vvt?

what's left? you could use a clean up of the vve tables of your cart ls3 had the corvette cam in it? but nothing a tuners can't do while in there?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody replaced there vvt / dod 6.2 with a GM performance 6.2 /la3 430hp , I have a 2011 Yukon Denali and the #4 lifter let go and lock up the motor , I would like to replace it with the GM performance crate motor but the service guy at the deal told me I would need a controller added to it and that I would be better off to replace it with a stock 6.2 vvt/dod remanufactured 6.2 plug and go , opinions and advice on this subject is very much appreciated I was looking at the 6.2 long block summit racing has for a decent price and I don’t mind getting a tune for it but a new controller hmmm I’m thinking he’s trying to up sale me , thanks for any advice
The LS3 is a Gen IV engine like your L94, all you need is a tune to get it running correctly. The camshaft in those crate motors is for cars, not trucks, if this were my project, I'd change that out to a truck specific camshaft. Probably have to use your oil pan, I think they come with Camaro oil pans. Swap over your intake, injectors, coils, etc. and good to go.

Dave and Michael and Randy are just some of the guys active on here who have changed the camshaft in their 6.2 equipped Denalis and can give you advice on that.

@Geotrash @randeez @petethepug