6.2 ls3 GM performance crate engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That was a great post to add. If you’ve got the LS motor, whichever one, simply make sure it has a truck cam and you’re all set.

The 3/4 & 1T 6.0L L96 truck motor is an excellent drop in solution. It has no AFM, alum heads, iron block and runs reg gas. Simply drop in and tune out trucks AFM. Add a cam and you’re good for 400+ hp/tq

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be made to work but an LS3 isn't really the best powerband for a big heavy truck. The VVT makes a huge difference for power down low where a truck needs it the most.
The VVT probably isn't making that much of a difference over the non-VVT engine equivalent.

It's been discussed here before, but VVT on our engines simply can't do much with a single cam controlling both the intake and exhaust valves, compared to the huge benefits VVT can provide to DOHC engines.

It's all for CAFE and NHV standards anyways.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes a massive difference. Go drive a 6.0L GMT-800 Denali or Escalade and then hop into a GMT-900 with the VVT 6.2L and there is a huge difference in the bottom end. Or, go look at dyno graphs of the power curve. Regardless, the cam in an LS3 is just not ideal for a truck. Just like an LS9 cam isn’t ideal for a CTS-V that weighs 1000 lbs. more. Can it work? Sure. But could it be better? Absolutely. Why spend all that money and do all the work for it to not be as good as it can be?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, he did say non-VVT engine equivalent.
And you are comparing a 6.0 to a 6.2, and possibly 4 speed vs 6 speed.

But I'm all for making it better, especially low end torque, and it doesn't sound like the VVT system itself has any real issues?
(Only issue when going with a bigger lift cam?)

I haven't driven either :(

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, he did say non-VVT engine equivalent.
And you are comparing a 6.0 to a 6.2, and possibly 4 speed vs 6 speed.

But I'm all for making it better, especially low end torque, and it doesn't sound like the VVT system itself has any real issues?
(Only issue when going with a bigger lift cam?)

I haven't driven either :(
The only problem VVT has is the abysmal lack of aftermarket support. (

Also, huge bottom-end torque isn't really the end-all in vehicles with transmissions that shift gears when torque [multiplication] is really needed. Long-tube headers and a tune will give you better low-end torque than a cam ever will.

If you want 10,000lb/ft at 1000rpm get a diesel.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few aftermarket VVT cam options out there considering how low the demand is for VVT cams because people think the only way to make power is some "hawg ass cam" and that the VVT is unreliable. I had no problem finding the Comp one I'm running in my Escalade or the Gwatney Performance one we put in my father-in-law's truck. Most aftermarket cams don't make real power until 3k RPM and that is just not what you want in a heavy vehicle. I was tired of the cam in my SS years ago because it didn't make power unless you were beating on it, it just wasn't a good driving experience, I can't imagine having liking a similar cam in a heavier truck. But, as they say, to each their own, I suppose.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... huge bottom-end torque isn't really the end-all in vehicles with transmissions that shift gears when torque [multiplication] is really needed.
Long-tube headers and a tune will give you better low-end torque than a cam ever will.

If you want 1,000ft/lb @ 1000RpM, get a turbodiesel.
Y'know what else effectively improves low-RpM power to the GROUND?
Axle gears.
Some GMT900 pickup trucks came with 3.73 or even 4.10 axle gears,
but GMT900 suvs only got 3.08, 3.23, or 3.42?

Not to mention, axle gears might actually IMPROVE MpG, and may help the transmission last longer.
No cam can do that, regardless of how carefully the cam is tuned.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was gonna say, I think I need a diesel to overcome my 3.08 rearend!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know what else effectively improves low-RpM power to the GROUND?
Axle gears.
Some GMT900 pickup trucks came with 3.73 or even 4.10 axle gears,
but GMT900 suvs only got 3.08, 3.23, or 3.42?

Not to mention, axle gears might actually IMPROVE MpG, and may help the transmission last longer.
No cam can do that, regardless of how carefully the cam is tuned.
Exactly, plus I'm still not seeing all those cheap 6.2 engines available for sale.

You can find sub-$1000 2007 and newer 6.0s all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfresh5421