97 tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhbluevip

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im knew to the forum. I just bought a 97 2 dr. tahoe LT, 4X4, 5.7 liter, with 145000 on it. Its extremely clean, and my sister in law owned it. My question is under the tahoe, where the tranmission pan, and tranfer case is, is dripping wet with transmission fluid. When cold, the transmission dipstick reads full, however after driving and hot, its empty, and when decellerating there is a grinding sound and feel under your feet. Is there a common problem with these, transmissions or tranfer cases. I can't seem to see where the leak is comming from, as it is just soaked everywhere. Thanks for any input.

ChrisInWI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yikes, sounds scary! Can you get a pressure washer or a spray bottle of degreaser and a hose under there to get the mess cleaned off so it's easier to spot the source of the leak? Are you sure the grinding isn't a seperate issue from the brakes or is it only doing it hot?

OP
OP
N

nhbluevip

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Im going to spray it down with engine degreaser tomorrow, and hose it off. Then add tranny fluid and a bottle of Lucas tranny additive, and attempt to see where its leaking. Someone told be the transfer cases are known to crack on these, near the top of the case. Is there any truth to this?

faze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think degreasing is a good way to start but I'd consider droppng the tranny pan, drain the oil out of the transfer case and look for metal. If you're hearing grinding I'd go there first becuase if you find more than fine particulate, ie. chunks; because, then you're tearing them apart anyway and the leak will be a mute issue.

I did a lot of reading on these trucks before I bought mine and I've never run across a post about the transfer cases being prone to cracking. I suppose anything is possible but GM has been building half ton 4wd trucks for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diablo1970