'99 Tahoe Cigarette Lighter/Auxillary Power Outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beckya99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 99 Tahoe, 4 door, 4WD, Old style, 350 Vortex, 5.7 LT.

I have searched and searched and can find NOTHING on replacing the cigarette lighter and 2 power outlets on either side of it online or in the chilton's manual. Can anyone tell me anything at all about replacing the 3 plugs? Since all three don't work, and the fuses are good, is there something else I should be checking/looking at?

Thank you!

beckya99

OpelBlitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 99 Tahoe, 4 door, 4WD, Old style, 350 Vortex, 5.7 LT.

I have searched and searched and can find NOTHING on replacing the cigarette lighter and 2 power outlets on either side of it online or in the chilton's manual. Can anyone tell me anything at all about replacing the 3 plugs? Since all three don't work, and the fuses are good, is there something else I should be checking/looking at?

Thank you!

beckya99

Hi!

I'm in the same boat; I just acquired a '99 Tahoe 2dr which used to be owned by the US Gov't, and it had a light bar on top. The ashtray assembly was completely replaced by a custom-made box that housed the controls for the light bar. The wires are all there (and work, since I was able to use the light bar before removing it), but I just need to put the components necessary there.

Maybe something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350486944402

OP
OP
B

beckya99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in the same boat; I just acquired a '99 Tahoe 2dr which used to be owned by the US Gov't, and it had a light bar on top. The ashtray assembly was completely replaced by a custom-made box that housed the controls for the light bar. The wires are all there (and work, since I was able to use the light bar before removing it), but I just need to put the components necessary there.

Maybe something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350486944402

That's exactly what came stock with my Tahoe. Go to your local junk yard or pick n pull. I picked one up for about $5.00 (wrong color) and replaced all the outlets. The center lighter didn't work, though...and couldn't find one that fits at O'Reilly or Advanced. Next trip to the junk yard I picked up another lighter and socket. Installed it last night. Have other issues I'm finishing up on and haven't tested it yet, but at this point, I don't care if the lighter itself doesn't actually work - I just want to be able to charge my phone, etc.

And as long as they didn't alter the dash to put in the bar light assembly, they are VERY easy to replace, EXCEPT you have to pop off the left side dash bezel (4 bolts and and several pop in connectors). The aux assembly just has 4 plastic pop in connector thingies, too. Look carefully before just trying to pull it out, though or they'll snap (and you'll be making another trip to the junk yard!) lol

becky

OpelBlitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's exactly what came stock with my Tahoe. Go to your local junk yard or pick n pull. I picked one up for about $5.00 (wrong color) and replaced all the outlets. The center lighter didn't work, though...and couldn't find one that fits at O'Reilly or Advanced. Next trip to the junk yard I picked up another lighter and socket. Installed it last night. Have other issues I'm finishing up on and haven't tested it yet, but at this point, I don't care if the lighter itself doesn't actually work - I just want to be able to charge my phone, etc.

And as long as they didn't alter the dash to put in the bar light assembly, they are VERY easy to replace, EXCEPT you have to pop off the left side dash bezel (4 bolts and and several pop in connectors). The aux assembly just has 4 plastic pop in connector thingies, too. Look carefully before just trying to pull it out, though or they'll snap (and you'll be making another trip to the junk yard!) lol

becky

Yeah I already have the ashtray, just need to find those clips. Do you know what GM calls them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus